Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B Shifting / Lack-thereof

wi4x4man ยท 2016-10-10 12:40

Howdy All, It has been a while since I posted on these threads... hoping someone can give me a pointer. I have a very strange issue going on with my Case 580B. The other day I was loading some gravel into the dump truck and then had to drive the machine about a mile to spread it out on one of the farm roads. I had my son follow behind me in the backhoe as I drove ahead of him to get the load dumped. Taking a bit longer than I thought it should take, he finally showed up and mentioned to me how there was a lot of smoke. I asked him where the smoke was coming from, and he told me it was coming from underneath the engine where the breather vent is. Assuming it was the breather vent, I told him it was just that and dismissed it based on how the wind was blowing that day. So I jumped in it, and the smoke he was talking about was much more than just breather vent smoke. I shut it down, got out and felt the side of the bell housing and it was very hot... much hotter than it should be given the amount of time we had been running. I looked over everything, and I couldn't find anything wrong (leaks and etc.) I fired her up again, and put it in forward. It went into forward without any issue and with plenty of power. I shifted into reverse and she didn't move at all. What's more, is that when I went from 2nd gear to 1st gear, the "clutch" pedal didn't slow anything down. While the pressure dropped when I pushed the clutch in (according to the gauge), the clutch packs never released. The machine is continually stuck in forward. Figuring that perhaps I had a sticking valve, I shut her down and ran the shuttle lever back and forth a bunch of times along with the clutch and checked to make sure everything was connected properly. Started it up again, and no changes. She was still stuck in forward. One thing I noticed is that as I put it into reverse, I inadvertently moved the lever went a bit farther down. In that spot she had full forward power again. In any position (except for when I depressed the clutch) the pressure on the gage was smack dab in the green. Forward, neutral, or reverse had no bearing... the pressure was fine. However, when I did push the clutch while in forward, it would stop. However the clutches were still somewhat engaged because if I shifted gear sets, no matter how hard I pressed the clutch, I would be grinding gears. All of this being said, have any of you seen this issue before? The clutch packs were rebuilt about 16 years ago, with everything being replaced. When the clutch failed in the past, it had very weak forward and reverse. This time around it has full strength forward with no reverse. Even when I shift from forward to neutral to reverse and hold in the gear range shift lever, the shaft directions don't change as it is a constant gear grinding. If the gear clatter stopped for a second during the directional change, I could see a weak clutch pack, but it doesn't change direction at all. Fluid level is fine too and doesn't have many hours since being completely drained and replaced when I had to rebuild the rear end by replacing the ring and pinion gears (along with the bearing carriers and etc.) My thought is that there is something wrong with the shuttle valve assembly. Perhaps a seal went out, the system started to "go over relief" and that is what was causing the heat buildup. Any ideas?

Replies0

No replies yet.