Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B Steering Hand Pump Removal

fortsusquehanna ยท 2018-06-08 11:14

The steering hand pump on my 1974 580B has let go. One of the two hoses which attach to it is blown, but I want to inspect the pump as well to see if there are any indicators of issues. I read the manual, and got to the point where I removed the steering wheel from the shaft, removed the four bolts from the hand pump on the column, opened up the inspection plate, and removed one of the two hoses attached to the hand pump (this last step was not in the manual, but I did it to get some movement room). I cannot get the hand pump out of the inspection plate hole. I also cannot remove the second hose, which I want to replace since I am already there. Any tips on how to thread this hand pump out of the inspection hole? I can't seem to get it past the shuttle shift shaft and the hand throttle shaft- do I need to remove these to get the hand pump out? The only thing I didn't do according to the manual is disconnect the battery, so maybe there is some maneuver to press against the wiring to get it out ( the wiring is in the forward void area of the steering column). Thanks!

Replies11
  1. #1franklin22018-06-09 09:46

    I am not being helpful, but I was curious reading your post; What is a hand pump for the steering system?

  2. #2franklin22018-06-09 09:50

    By "hand pump" do you mean the piece that looks like this?

  3. #3fortsusquehanna2018-06-09 11:46

    franklin2, The piece shown doesn't look exactly like mine. It looks similar to that, but the two hoses exit parallel to the shaft on the bottom (which I take to be the right side of your photo) and the shaft is splined and only comes out the top (which I take to be the left side of your photo). My system is pure hydraulic- there is no physical connection other than hoses between the steering wheel and the steering pump. The one you show looks like it also attaches to linkage to a steering box. Am I right? I have looked at mine some more and think I need to removed the shuttle shift shaft in order to get it out of the hole. I'm going to try that today.

  4. #4Tinkerer2018-06-09 13:32
  5. #5fortsusquehanna2018-06-09 15:54

    Tinkerer, That's what I have. The hose on the left underneath blew. I got that one off, but I can't get hold of the unit to get a heavy turn on the wrench and get the other one off. I'm going to try to get it out by getting the shuttle shift linkage out of the way. I've never done this before, so any advice would help.

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-06-09 17:24

    Can you get it with a crowsfoot wrench on a socket extension ?

  7. #7fortsusquehanna2018-06-10 13:48

    I don't have any of that available where I am working on it. I'm going to try to get the shuttle shift linkage out of the way and see if that allows it to come out.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2018-06-12 14:59

    The throttle and shift linkage both will have to be removed to get hand pump out of colum. FYI the hand pump in timed internally so if you take it apart make sure you put it back together correctly.

  9. #9fortsusquehanna2018-06-13 15:05

    Thanks for the advice. It came out without removing the linkage or torching or cutting it up, like I wanted to after working on it for 6 hours.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2018-06-13 16:51

    Yeah I understand about cutting it up lol. I'm glad I could help.

  11. #11Bertrrr2018-06-15 06:18

    I rebuilt mine b/c it was leaking , got a seal kit and put it back together, was hard to remove but it does come out of the fit, be sure and put your hoses back in the same place , I reversed mine by accident and my machine steered backwards LOL, had to remove and switch them out, did not notice any timing marks for the gear though I took the pump apart several times , got lucky I guess, good luck , I have the same machine