Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B stuck gear shifter

NealBags ยท 2022-07-25 18:40

My 1970's 580B is a diesel with shuttle trans. The 4 speed shifter will not go into any gear whether the motor is running or not. It will shift into the start position but that's all. No matter how hard I push the shifter it just won't go into gear. When running, I get good trans fluid pressure readings and depressing the "clutch" pedal causes the expected pressure drop but no dice on getting into any gear. I recently "inherited" the machine and know very little about it. I've heard it mentioned that there might be some corrosion in the shifter cover but, before going through that nightmare, I thought I'd ask around. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-07-26 17:58

    Welcome to HEF, Neal ! Prolly going to have to take the cover off and line up the shift rails. Here is a link to the manuals for 580B's. https://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.as...) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580B

  2. #2NealBags2022-07-27 15:39

    Thanks Tinkerer! With advice from you and Coy Lancaster, I removed the shifter cover and what a mess! The machine had been sitting for a few years so there's lots of corrosion to clean up. Gears move OK along the spline shaft but there's a tiny bit of corrosion there, too. I think they'll free up with use. The big worry is the detent bearings and springs. I'm soaking those in Kroil to see if that'll help. I can tap the shift rods and they will move so, with luck, a good cleanup will do the trick. Question.... can I use some Permatex blue goo in place of the cover gasket?

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-07-27 20:08

    A very thin coating of black RTV cement would be my choice. It is resistant to oil. those rods need to be polished with emory cloth. Use long strips and pull on the ends to make it go back and forth. They need to be taken out of the cover to clean them properly. There must have been a lot of water in the oil.

  4. #4dennishom2023-09-21 15:47

    Tenkerer, I have a 580bck with 4sp tranny and shuttle shift. I was shifting without the 5/16 set screw and got the shifter locked in 1st gear. Tried taking the cover off gearbox, but the shifting rails being not in neutral position won't let me. Any suggestions? DennisHom