Looking for some help on a 188d. first off from what I understand you can exchange a 207d for a 188d? Is this correct. The 207 has a 2” hole in the block so needs to b replaced. It’s coming off of a case 580c backhoe. They appear to be very similar. I have a 188d that I was able to get running. It’s going to need a little work still before it’s ready to install. The one piece timing belt cover was corroded so I removed the cover from the 207 and it fits perfect, but doesn’t have the part that connects to the radiator, so I’ll just have to improvise w a hose. I’ve pulled the water pump, and am now trying to pull the housing manifold, but it does not want to come off. I’ve pulled out the bolts and nuts, including the one on the inside of the housing. It moves, and I can pull it away from the head by about 1/4”, but the base seems to be pretty wedged and I can’t completely separate it. I need to replace the gasket so it’s got to come off. I’ve even tried waking it at the bottom w a hammer, but no joy so far. Any suggestions?
Here is some info. for you. Do a forum search for Case 207D. HeavyEquipmentForums
Any progress yet, Bigbubba ? Which housing are you trying to get off ? Your description was a little vague for anyone to answer. Pictures are worth a thousand words !
Well I’ve got the old engine out and the new one just about ready to go in, but like all projects there’s always another snag. There’s a leak (oil) coming out of the transmission where it connects to the torque converter. I Think this was my culprit in the beginning with my oil leak. Any idea on what I might be looking at as far as repair? Or which part might less to the leak? I’ve got to get this repaired before I can get the new engine installed! Hopefully you can see by the picture where the oil is leaking. I’ve got a paper towel shoved in there now to slow it down. Any help is welcome as I’m new to most of this!
It appears to be that the oil seal is wore out. #3. Any wobble in the shaft when grab it and wiggle it ?
That seal seals against the torque convertor, which has been removed, so it can't help but leak. they actually make a plastic tool to block that off while the torque convertor is out. I would certainly change that seal while you can get to it.
There’s no movement in the shaft; this was a problem from day one when I purchased it, but I wasn’t exactly sure where the leak was coming from. Is it necessary to remove the shaft to replace the seal or is it more simple than that? I’ll dig into the manual and try to solve this added frustration! I Appreciate the advice!
nope, just pop it out
Something like this is the tool of choice to pull that seal -
Great advice. I’ll get to it. Thanks!
Please keep us updated on your progress. It will help anyone else that is doing that swap for their first time.
The seal popped right out; pretty simple to put new one in. I’ve got everything put back together and so far seems to be running well. Only other issue might be the fuel system. Think it’s running a little rich and might need some fuel injector work. Appreciate the help!
Diesels don't run rich, the fuel (and timing) is the only thing controlled by the pump, more fuel=go faster, less fuel=go slower. What's it doing? black smoke? blue smoke? white smoke? at idle? cold/warm? full load? If it's running away, then yes, it's running too rich.
Mostly white/gray, but the manifold had a lot of nasty build up when I took the engine apart; enough that I could chisel it away from the manifold. The fuel lines/injectors were in pretty poor condition, a lot of crud build up on them. I thought perhaps the fuel injectors could be dirty and not spraying evenly so not all of the fuel was combusting... just a thought. I’ve let the engine idle for a bit and it seems like it’s starting to run smoother. When I first got it going it would surge then taper off, then surge again than taper off etc. Maybe it just needed a good cleaning and rebuild of the fuel lines, and now it just has to burn out all the bad accumulation of gunk. But I’m definitely no expert. Any thoughts are appreciated!
The white smoke and surging sounds like it was working out the air. I'd wait until it's put together, and you can work it hard to see what it runs like after a tank full of fresh fuel. Or you could have the injectors checked, they will certainly lose effectiveness like you say, usually that will be a hard starting complaint, but maybe you get with more in Tucson than around here.
Whats the pump #.?? Whats the timing set at.?? Should be either TDC or 8*.. for a RoosaMaster/Stanadyne pump. Once u verify the timing, & its still smokes raw fuel.. replace the injectors..
Seems to be running well now, maybe just had to burn out some of the crud that had accumulated over the years. Sounds real smooth and runs nice;, except for after running it for a bit yesterday I noticed a little fuel leaking out of the pump. From what I’ve read and understand it looks like a couple of washers/o rings that likely need to be replaced?