Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c

Finigan · 2023-10-11 18:03

Hello there. So I just bought my first backhoe like today! Lots to learn. After I use the backhoe for digging, the wheels are locked up. How do you release the brakes. They seem to be coming on all by themselves. It’s a 1986 Case 580C. I totally new to one, just figured out how to relock the boom. Reverse hydraulics after top dead centre? (I’m from canada, we spell centre the right way lol). Thanks guys.

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-10-11 21:30

    Welcome to HEF, Finigan !

  2. #2Finigan2023-10-11 21:43

    Thanks Tinkerer

  3. #3stinky642023-10-12 10:20

    Finigan, if your new treasure is 1986 it's not a C and vice versa. Check inside left of cab for a serial number plate then check out Tractor Data .com for the all your stats. If it is in fact a C try lubing the crap out of all the brake linkage from underneath the machine for sticking parts that may be causing your "locking" issue, also make sure the E-brake lever and cable are released.

  4. #4Finigan2023-10-12 10:25

    Okay and thanks for the reply. I’ll check for the serial number and look it up. That makes perfect sense. I did apply the e brake and now that you mention it, it’s not lowered all the way to the floor like it was before I engaged it. Sure appreciate the help. I’m going to need it. Pulled my first stump with it yesterday. Awesome!!!!

  5. #5stinky642023-10-12 10:34

    Once you get the E- brake freed up, unless it"s an emergency most folks don't ever use it. You can use the bucket or a stabilizer to keep the machine from moving. DISCLAIMER: NEVER leave a machine unattended without the brake applied.

  6. #6Finigan2023-10-12 12:01

    The serial number on mine is 8951656. Do you know how to read it?

  7. #7stinky642023-10-12 19:09

    According to TractorData.com 1976 vintage. so yes it's a C. Punch in Case 580C years made into google, then click onto the Tractor Data.com site for all the years made and specs for your machine.

  8. #8Billrog2023-10-12 19:58

    Lube the e brake cable and try working it back and forth. Check the spring at the other end & lube as well.