Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Brakes

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2021-07-12 06:19

Good morning everyone. I have a couple questions regarding installing new brakes on my 580C. First one, what is the trick of getting the screw out that holds the carrier plate off the machine? Is there a special tool or a toll out there that makes this easier to bust loose? Second question is on the shims for this plate, mine has two shims which I havent measured the thickness of yet but how do you tell what thickness you should have? Thanks in advance.

Replies7
  1. #1outlawspeeder2021-07-21 20:35

    Post a couple of photos of what you're talking about. Not sure what you're asking.

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-07-21 22:27

    Do you have the service manual PA ?

  3. #3JDT44302021-07-22 07:25

    Here is a video that I came across and will watch again when I get ready to do mine. Im not saying he did everything exactly how I would do it but it may help you out. Abandoned Backhoe Brake Repair Case 580c Part 6 - YouTube

  4. #4Tuna2021-07-22 07:49

    Use an impact driver on the screw, or a little heat. I was lucky mine screw holding the brake housing on both sides was missing.

  5. #5melben2021-07-22 13:21

    Use an acetylene torch, heat the head of the screw red hot n let it cool, it will screw out easily.

  6. #6stinky642021-07-22 20:17

    If you have an acetylene torch Mel"s method is the way to go, if the phillips head screw that you're talking about isn't stripped and you don't have torches an impact driver with a large phillips bit may work just give it a few whacks with a hammer and punch before trying to remove it..2nd question answer is , the shims you are referring to are part # 27 in the manual and come in .003, .005, and .010 You can use a mic. to check the thickness... Those shims determine the dif carrier/ring and pinion end play..Unless the seals are leaking you shouldn't have to screw with the carrier or the shims to rebuild the brake assy...

  7. #7PAwrestling#12021-07-25 13:12

    Yes the seals are leaking badly. Yes I do have a manual.. I seen where they list like three different thicknesses of shims and I believe I have replaced these accordingly a few years ago so wasnt sure if maybe someone before me replaced with incorrect thicknesses.