Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580c engine shut off conversion to electric

jpeters ยท 2013-04-04 12:42

Has anyone here converted a 580c from the pull cable engine kill to an electric solenoid?

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-04-05 06:28

    I can't help with the conversion, but why do you want to quit using the cable.

  2. #2jpeters2013-04-05 08:05

    I am restoring this one from the ground up. It was in a fire and I let it set too long after that. The owner I bought it from did not take care of it either. So having said that this tractor was in really bad shape. I am painting every part as I go as I assemble it. I am having to build a dash for it as well and I want to make it a more modern set up since my cable is bad too. Going to have to install new gauges that are the marine type. These look really nice. So that`s my story and i`m sticking to it.

  3. #3alrman2013-04-05 08:19

    The electric fuel shut off is inside the top cover on the Roosamaster pump, assuming you have one. This would be more expensive to modify than buying a new shut off cable. If you really wanted to to it, the 580D was electric shut off, if you got one at the right price & were assured it was a good pump, getting a hold of one of these would be the way to go. Your project would have alot of interest here - pictures jpeters we need pictures!

  4. #4jpeters2013-04-05 09:09

    This is a Standyne pump actually. Well I was thinking if I could find just a generic type fuel shutoff that had a cable attached to it I could mount it anywhere closeby and just hook the cable up to the lever on the ip. I did see one somewhere but it believe it was expensive. Yes I will post some pictures although I am not done. I have assembled most of the tractor without any attachments. Soon as I get the top on it I will post some.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2013-04-05 12:15

    I can furnish you with what you need..I'm a "sucker" for experiments..contact me direct..with pump #'s and shipping address

  6. #6syndy2013-04-05 23:40

    If just getting a cable would fix the problem, why not install a Teleflex marine Control Cable. You can buy one for $15 and it would last a lifetime. If I remember right some of the older model OMC cables have a straight rod at each end with a 10-32 thread on each end. They are easy to adapt to just about anything that needs to be pushed or pulled. Here is a link to a 7' cable, I think they go down to 5' and a little less money. http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/omc-7-foot-d48296-000-084-0-evinrude-johnson-old-style-boat-shift-throttle-control-cable#

  7. #7Tinkerer2013-04-06 06:58

    I used a carburetor choke cable on mine. They are available at any auto parts store for about $10.00.

  8. #8jpeters2013-04-06 08:11

    I could use a cable yes. But I am trying to modernize this feature since I have to redesign the dash console anyway. I have to get a new ignition switch anyway. More convenient that a cable pull. Unless of course it will cost me $100`s to do this i may just use a cable.