Hello, My searches have been unsuccessful, so would someone help with the fan/alt belt replacement on my Case 580C. I couldn't find it in my Case manual. I have the front radiator guard and 2 hydraulic pump bolts out. Would the pump slide forward on the spline to give enough room to slide the new belt through? It has rigid hoses on one side, would the hydraulic system need to be drained? Some forum talked about removing engine mounts? Thanks for the help. Curly
Usually, by removing the pump mounting bolts, removing the pressure hose, & loosening the suction hose clamps - there is enough give, to slide the pump out enough to fit the new belt. Being careful not to let the suction hose come off any tubing...... But, if the hoses are old & hard, it may make the procedure a little more difficult. I usually have a plug at the ready to push into the suction hose to control the oil - should the pump come away from the suction pipe - you will lose a litre or two of oil this way, but it's quicker than draining & refilling the tank.
Thanks alrman, Is there a best way to move the pump forward after the hydraulic lines are removed / loosened? Tap with brass punch on ears? Have it soaking in PB Blaster. I don't want to break anything for a $15 belt change. if possible I will clean the spline and coat with anti-seize before reinstalling the new belt. Curly
They can often be seized in place - usually the pump spline in the coupling. Give it a good soaking - if you can get an air chisel with a flat ended tool on it & give the coupling a bit of a thrashing - it will do wonders I have a 6' long crow bar which acts as a pile driver against the body of the pump. Hit the pump body near the fittings - a few hits at a time each side - not too crazily...... but that depends on how the day has been going..... Air chisel is the tool of choice.
I had the splines soaking for a few days, and the pump came off relatively easy. The parts store didn't have the OEM 17515 belt, they had 17510 and 17520. I got the shorter 17510 belt and had to remove both alternator bolts to get the belt on. Once the belt was over the pulleys the bolts were put back in and belt tightened. I have a lot of room to tighten it now. I Cleaned the splines and applied antiseeze for the next guy, next time. Finding a new supple 1 1/4" ID suction hose was problematic as everyone had new hydraulic hose with wire encased. That hose was too stiff and rigid to slide over the suction tube/pipe. I was told to use 1 1/4" heater hose which no one had. All in all feels good to have that job behind me with the alternator charging again. Thanks Kurly
Kurly, Don't use heater hose. you need the hydraulic suction hose or your suction hose will collapse under load...suction hose is 250-300 psi not like regular hydraulic line rated at 3000+ psi''
Use R100 hydraulic hose. Nothing else will give the service it will.
Yes, a big NO NO on the heater hose. Oil suction hoses will contain a wire to prevent the hose closing in on itself over a long length. These machines are using very short hoses between two steel tubes that are often almost touching, so oil delivery hose is what you need to ask for. Because it's on the suction side of the pump - we all call them suction hoses - say that to a hose supply counter guy & they want to sell you the stuff with the wire band in it.....
Check your local NAPA,if they make hydraulic lines they should have what you need..If NAPA's a bust try any local ag/tractor dealer with a service dept.
I have never used these on a backhoe, but they work better than you would think. I have used them in other applications and some manufacturers use them on their industrial equipment. https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Link®-Adjustable-V-Belt-Profile-Length/dp/B00A9ZNDJQ
I have used several Link Belts over the years and haven’t ever had an issue with them.
Harbor Freight has the same belt, 5' https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html I have one on my hoe, been on for a couple years. Hellofalot easier than removing the pump. Joe H
The one linked looks like a v-belt. Am I seeing it wrong? Did you put in on in place of your serpentine belt?
580C has a v-belt, not serpentine...but I would probably opt for pulling the pump and replacing v-belt unless it was an emergency, especially if the alternative was coming from Garbage Freight...Don't get me wrong I have a bunch of their good crap, but wouldn't trust a GF belt on any of my machines....
Be sure to use a good quality belt. Hardware and farm supply branded belts stretch way toooo much over time. I learned that the hard way.
Thanks Tinkerer, I used a Goodyear belt from my auto parts store. I really respect your thoughts and feedback.