Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Info

bcurtiss ยท 2023-03-15 14:33

Hello, New here and new to backhoes. I just acquired this Case 580C, and was curious about a couple of things, there is a button on the floor below the left brake pedals, picture attached, what is this for? It doesn't move at all, but it is there. It has the two brake pedals on the left of the steering wheel, and one to the right of the steering wheel, is that also a brake pedal? How do you shift gears between 1-4, when I tried it they would just grind, so I am assuming I am doing something wrong. Sorry if these are stupid questions, this is all new to me. Thank you for any insight and help.

Replies8
  1. #1Billrog2023-03-15 15:28

    Shift from 1 to for ? Maybe 3 to 4 would be a better choice and use the clutch, single pedal on the right. Can't make it out from the pick but it may be the difflock or it may not be.

  2. #277Ford2023-03-15 15:56

    If that "button" works you can switch gears without putting the forward reverse lever into neutral and coming to a complete stop. It's allows you to change gears in motion. Looked it up as I had forgotten the name it's called a clutch cut out switch. The clutch is right of the steering wheel and the two brake pedals are left , I always leave mine locked together. If you have the toggle switch in drive mode pushing the clutch will not make it stop trying to pull. It's on the dash left side assuming it's all like mine.

  3. #3bcurtiss2023-03-15 16:28

    Thank you for the info, there is a toggle switch to left of the steering wheel and is unmarked, that would explain that. How does that work exactly? Sorry for all of the questions as I know nothing about these.

  4. #4bcurtiss2023-03-15 16:29

    There is a diff lock pedal on the right side floor board.

  5. #577Ford2023-03-15 16:47

    When it's in drive mode it's always pulling even with the clutch pedal depressed. You have to stand on the brakes to make it not move (really useful for loading on trailers). When it's in the other pushing the clutch pedal in will make it stop pulling ( more like how you think of a traditional clutch it's electric though you cannot feather it at all, it's either in or out).

  6. #677Ford2023-03-15 16:58

    580C Shuttle Clutch switch on floor I looking for a picture or what the shuttle switch is suppose to be for the foot disengaging clutch. Mine was missing when I bought it and I trying to get it back together. To be clear the switch on the floor that you step on to allow it to free roll (neutral). Thanks HeavyEquipmentForums That thread shows the mechanism that is under the floor. Any or all that could be gommed up.

  7. #7bcurtiss2023-03-15 18:47

    Ok that makes sense, in which position is which way?

  8. #8Tinkerer2023-03-15 19:47

    Welcome to HEF, bcurtiss ! From the operators manual.