Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580c leak around the torque converter area.

jpeters ยท 2015-03-11 18:21

I rebuilt this shuttle and have a small leak around the converter area. I installed a new converter seal when I did the rebuild but do not have a clue why it has this small leak. Do converters leak themselves?

Replies4
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-03-11 23:37

    If the oil is coming out the bell housing it could be a bad seal, charge pump gasket, cracked charge pump, drive hub on converter with a grove worn in it, or a problem with the converter/ shell/weld seam. Did you have the converter out, did you check the run out on it before installing your shuttle. Is the shuttle overfilled with fluid, is the hyd oil filter above the converter leaking and dropping fluid down on the bell housing.

  2. #2jpeters2015-03-12 09:13

    It is coming out of the bell housing. the converter was not worn. I installed a new seal. I did not check any runout on it. And it is not running down from the top. I have everything clean since this tractor is under restoration. And the front pump has only one gasket if I can recall and it is visible outside of the bell housing. I have checked that spot and it does not come out of that area. Guess I will pull it today and have a look.

  3. #3jpeters2015-03-12 13:05

    I have it out and it looks like tq is ok but maybe leak around pump seal and the large oring which i did replace already when I had it out. I was thinking about replace the pump bushing but I see Case does not service that part. It does feel a bit loose however. Any aftermarket ones for this? I looked in a Sonnax catalogue by dimension and did not find one. I do many automatics but not seen one this dimension.

  4. #4jpeters2015-03-26 09:10

    I think I solved the problem. I believe the leak was around the pump bolts. I put permatex no.2 on the bolt heads and now leak is gone. I did pressure up the torque converter just to be sure but no leak there.