Just back from holidays and getting back to projects - earlier this year I replaced the power steering pump on the Case 580c, all happy with that but I was thinking if I could get a rebuild kit for the old pump, it would be nice to have as a spare.... however, can't see anywhere that lists a rebuild kit for the pump. Does one exist? thx in advance.
It looks suspiciously to me like a pump that would be on a car or truck. I know the alternator is a older GM alternator. I wonder......
So, on the weekend I went to move the backhoe into the spot where I can take out the injector pump to rebuild and I have no steering! Actually I have some, VERY high resistance to turning the wheel. PS pump fluid is at correct level, if I take the front wheels off the ground I can move the wheels manually with what feels like the proper amount of resistance. I am suspicious of the new PS pump I put on last year... so, further to my inquiry above, anyone know of a part# for a rebuild kit for my old (probably original) PS Pump? Would like to rebuild and then swap it in before I contemplate rebuilding/ replacing the orbital (Steering) valve... Any ideas? thx
Would be good if you had the pressure spec. and could check what the pump puts out. Is there a way to adjust the relief valve?
A defective power steering cylinder can/will cause high resistance to turn the steering wheel. On a rare occasion more than one problem at the same time will make it very hard to turn a steering wheel.
Had a think about it and did some testing... with the unit running and wheels off the ground it is hard to turn the steering wheel but, if you grab a tire you can turn it reasonably easy. With the unit running and the wheels on the ground, it is very stiff to turn the steering wheel.... if it was the orbital, I don't think I would be able to get the wheels to turn at all - same for a bad cylinder. So, I removed the < 2 yr old PS pump so I could test - Welder Dave made me think I could spin the PS pump with a drill and it should show if it was producing any pressure at all. When I got it off the gear turns waaaaay to easy so I took it apart - the driveshaft for the pump has sheared between the drive gear from the engine and the gears of the pump! So, I have a new pump on order. As always, thanks for all who weighed in.