Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Right brake and oil seal change

dirtyoldhoe ยท 2025-02-10 16:29

Hello, I've acquired an early model case 580c that needs a bit of work. I've been reading through threads on this forum for weeks and it's been incredibly helpful. One of the many things that I need to repair are the brakes. From what I've been reading, there's one (or 2) seals that tend to fail and leak gear oil onto the brakes. I plan on replacing the brakes as well as the seal but I had a question about which seal to replace. It seems as though there are 2. One is a larger seal that seems easy to replace but there is another one that seems like it would be nearly impossible to change without taking apart the rear transaxle. I think the seals are #20 and 28 on the attached diagram. Can someone help me confirm which seals tend to be the culprits as well as whether or not its possible to change that smaller seal without taking apart the differential? Is it common for that smaller seal to fail? Also, it seems like this issue only affects the right side. Is that right? Or should I be prepared to do this on the other side as well? I also read (on this forum) that you can just put another seal right over the original one. That seems like it would be the easiest route. has anyone tried that? Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-02-11 07:42

    Someone will be along to help, love the name.

  2. #2dirtyoldhoe2025-02-11 09:18

    Thanks! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site. Its such a great resource. Between this and watching youtube videos...I'm learning alot about this machine. Hopefully will be able to pay it forward at some point

  3. #3stinky642025-02-11 11:13

    Did you take the r/s apart yet? Need to pinpoint where oil is coming from, #20 may be your target and can be removed with long thin pick to hook the inside lip of the seal and fish it out, then fashion a thin wall seal "installer" from a piece of conduit or thin wall pipe. As far as 2nd seal, what if somebody already tried this? My choice would be removal, your time and machine. New seal is thin and not too beefy so use care when installing. Procedure has been covered here several times. Take some stuff apart and ask more questions.

  4. #4dirtyoldhoe2025-02-11 14:07

    I haven't taken it fully apart yet. Just poking around for now. The seals are relatively cheap so I'd prefer to just buy them before starting the job. I don't want to take it apart and then have to wait a week for a seal...then forget how it all goes back together, haha.