Hi I have a case 580c that I am rebuilding the shuttle shift. The retaining rings for the forward pressure plate and clutch assembly does not fit in the groove.the ring gear ,piston and cylinder are new due to the previous owner not installing correct.i have made sure with the owner manual that the rings are the correct size.anybody have any ideas why this would be or a way around it? I don't want to put it back together and have it destroy the parts like I found it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need the tractor for this weekend.
Is this the assembly ? If it is, can you be a little more specific which retaining ring ? Is it too wide side to side to fit in the groove ?
Hi yes that is the assembly. I am looking on my phone but it looks like number 9 and 5 in the diagram are the rings. The proper rings(according to the manual) are to wide in to fit in the slots of the ring gear it calls for .090 for the one and .074 for the other. I have used a feeler gauge and it seem the slots are only about .065 in thickness. I actually bought a new ring gear because the original was the same and I thought it had just wore down due to the previous owner not installing the rings. When I first opened the shuttle the forward pack fell out with no rings to be found, destroying the piston and cylinder.
#9 is a pusher ring that the beveled washer pushes against to release your clutch pack. It should stick out about halfway once installed. #5 is the clutch pack ring which sets up your plate stack heigth. When you by a rebuild kit, there is usually 2 or 3 of those rings that are different thicknesses so you can get the proper stack height .
thank you for the response.my mistake it is 13 and 5 that i have the problem with. The manual states that there is only 1 clip thickness for number 5 ? my rebuild kit only had various thickness rings for number 21, the colored rings for the clutch plate clearance.
If you lay the snap rings out you will see that there are selective snap rings and they are to set the plate clearance, the other two are not hard to figure out , the one slides down in the drum with no groove to go in, it is a seat for the outer edge of the bellville washer, assemble the fwd clutch, then select the snap ring that will set your clearance at the snap ring and clutch backing plate to a minimum of I believe .011--.040 with a feeler gage between the snap ring and backing plate. Install the clutch piston making sure the bellville is in place, that can be determined by looking down in the clutch pac and making sure there is equal distance between the inner bellville washer edges and the clutch piston. Once the piston is seated the other snap ring can be installed and it will be appatent which snap ring it takes, look at them carefully and you will see the different sizes, several the same except for thickness. DO NOT make the clearance tighter than recommended or the fwd clutch will drag and shifting will be difficult
Thank you so much that was what had me so confused, there is a slight Grove and could not figure out how the ring was going to go in. Now I understand it doesn't. Once again thank you so much for the responses you guys are life savers