While im rebuilding the engine in my 580C , I need to replace the large front pump seal. Is this a pain? Thanks
What front seal are you talking about?
The main pump seal where the pump bolts to the case
Oh ok sorry. It’s not too bad of a job. Pull the old seal and install new one. Best thing to do is remove shuttle from bell housing so you can get to seal easier, I’m supposing you pulled shuttle with engine. I always put grease in spring area of new seal so it doesn’t jump out when seal is installed.
The Shuttle is still installed. Does the cover just come off by itself or are there other parts I have to be careful of?
The pump will separate without any issue if you remove those four retaining bolts. It may need a little bump with a soft faced hammer to break it free from the housing. The retaining bolts are offset & the pump can only be installed in one position. It's a good idea to refit the bolts using copper washers to seal the heads. But I don't think the quadring is the cause of the leak. I hope you are replacing the visible input seal as well?? Is there any grooving on the converter spout - where the seal runs? If so, the leak will likely continue after you refit the shuttle....... also, take a good close look at all the welds on the converter for any cracking - as there seems to be alot of oil in that housing.
Thank for all the help!!!!. I am replacing that seal as well. Ill look over the converter welds and look for any groove.