Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c won’t turn, just goes straight.

JACOB R LEWIS ยท 2019-11-04 12:40

My 580c hasn't always been like this, but recently it's becoming very difficult to turn the machine. When I turn the wheels left or right the Backhoe will skid straight, almost like there's not enough weight in the front, or to much in the back. I checked the tire Camber/toe, PSI, steering pistons, and tires still have good tread. The front tires are tracking correctly when I turn the steering wheel, but it just doesn't want to turn. Could it be something with the back wheels (Differential stuck)? Any thoughts??

Replies3
  1. #1catskinner 102019-11-04 13:07

    Sounds to me like Your Differential Lock is Stuck engaged. To the right front of the seat is a crude looking Peddle through the floor plate you push with your heal. Supposed to return back by a internal spring. Follow linkage down to the right brake cover and check. Probably will have to remove the Diff Lock cover from the Brake cover and see how much is frozen or tore up. Tom

  2. #2JACOB R LEWIS2019-11-04 15:19

    Yes sir, that's what it was! Solved! it's a small round pedal connected to a linkage that goes into the right side Differential. Looks like there was a Spring there at one time to hold it in a certain position, but its missing now. I'll have to lube everything up and replace the Spring. Thanks for your help, that was 6 months of 12 point turns and frustration I'll never get back but at least I know what it is.

  3. #3fast_st2019-11-06 09:26

    LOL, I got a ride in a backhoe between construction sites one day, standing in the cab it seems I was standing on the diff lock, when the driver came to an intersection, turned the wheel and went straight across onto someone's lawn! He asked that I move my foot to someplace else.