Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580d engine question

Crewchief1 · 2021-07-21 18:03

After rebuilding the engine, I had a slight water leak under the water pump. I removed the water pump and the gasket was soaked with coolant. Can anybody tell me why the body assembly - water pump has a hole drilled through it . I am going to change the pump but don't understand the passage through the body. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632021-07-21 18:39

    That would be the weep hole. Coolant leaks from that when the pump seal has failed. Its normal

  2. #2edgephoto2021-07-21 19:04

    The seal fails typically because the bearing wears out.

  3. #3Crewchief12021-07-21 20:51

    Yes the water pump has a weep hole . The hole I am referring to is in the body assembly that the water pump bolts to. The body assembly mounts to the head an has both radiator hoses connected to it. I would think the area is full of coolant, why the hole? The shaft seal would leak out of the pump weep hole (outside of the body assembly). The hole in the body is right below the impeller.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-07-21 22:26

    A picture is worth a thousand words ! A tight pump gasket should not be soaked with coolant.

  5. #5Vetech632021-07-22 07:49

    Pics of the hole are priceless here.

  6. #6Crewchief12021-07-22 10:41

    Even the parts manual shows the hole.

  7. #7Crewchief12021-07-22 11:17

    This is the body assembly with the at 8 o’clock

  8. #8Vetech632021-07-22 15:00

    Looks like a corrosion hole

  9. #9Crewchief12021-07-22 15:23

    The parts manual shows the hole , the maintenance manual shows the same hole. All the ones I saw one line p/n A152802 all have the same hole. On my housing the hole is slightly eroded. Don't get it! Thanks for your replies

  10. #10S.A.E.2021-08-03 02:39

    . Isn't that hole covered bythe gasket when assembled? I cant speculate it's need during the casting process, but if the gasket covers it, no big deal? but interesting. Haven't had mine apart.

  11. #11S.A.E.2021-08-03 02:41

    you did or didn't change the water pump during your rebuild?

  12. #12Crewchief12021-08-03 08:34

    I just changed the water pump. I guess the coolant was leaking out the weep hole on the Pump, the fan air blasted it everywhere. I could see a water mark when the pump was removed. The hole in the housing assembly is drilled through both chambers for whatever reason. Thanks for all the posts.