I have a new to me 580d with the 207 engine. It ran a little rough when I got it, so I replaced injectors and filters. When I first checked the oil, the level was good and it looked clean. After replacing filters and injectors, I ran it for a bit and it still ran rough, so the plan this weekend was to find the cylinder with the lowest exhaust temp. I started and ran it for a minute and noticed an oil fuel mixture was puking out the valve cover vents. I checked the oil level again and it was a very thin diesel/oil mix. The previous owner had just replaced the valve cover gaskets (with a coating of what looks like liquid nail, lol). I'm guessing he had the same problem and got rid of it before fixing. What would you guys check first (after changing oil of course) ? I'm guessing its injector pump/seal related but I'm not too familiar with pump work. Thanks
Fuel primer diaphragm ?
These don’t have supply pumps.. unless the po put on an electric one.. So that leaves the injection pump.. It has 2 “umbrella” seals on the drive shaft..& unfortunately if they get dirt in them, they cut into the brass pilot tube that the dr shaft rides in.. U should check out the seals and pilot tube.. U HAVE TO TIE THE THROTTLE LEVER BACK TO WIDE OPEN BEFORE PULLING THE PUMP BACK.. The drive shaft will stay in the engine and u pull the pump off of it.. Check to see if the p tube is grooved..or the seal is flipped. Good luck
Make sure that it is running smoothly before you do anything else, check the exhaust runners where they come out of the head to make sure they all warm up evenly. This may sound stupid to some but I have had several in my career of over 50 yrs that put fuel down and the problem was a pushrod out of place causing a dead cylinder and the fuel was being pumped by the rings. For some reason some people do not recognize a complete dead cylinder and running roughly points my mind in that direction, Of course the shaft seals are a possibility also but the exhaust temp will verify all cylinders doing their part
Thanks. I didn't get it up to operating temp before noticing the oil/diesel overflow but the exhaust port on #1 was certainly cooler than the others.
Pull the cover, easy job, just clean up a bit before you pick the cover off, a lot of crap collects there , good luck. you can usually pry the valve down and slip the pushrod back in place if indeed that is the issue.