Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580D return to dig

JohninAK · 2024-05-04 21:20

I need some help diagnosing the RTD solenoid, as I think that's the problem. I replaced the microswitch mounted on the loader frame, wired it on the NC side of the switch. I have B+ to the blue wire at the switch, continuity to ground on the black wire. I have continuity between the switch and the solenoid wiring, I have 6V at the solenoid, assuming that is due to the resistor in line. No action at the solenoid when I manually work the switch in KO....? Assuming the solenoid has failed, any help here? Thanks, John

Replies11
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2024-05-05 18:55

    Have you check the solenoid with an ohmmeter? I don't remember a resistor in the wiring harness for RTD, you should be getting 12v at solenoid.

  2. #2JohninAK2024-05-08 18:20

    I have power to the solenoid, all the wiring and connections are good. I am going to assume it is the solenoid or as Case calls it "detent". N6581

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2024-05-08 20:04

    That subs over to N8215 you'll probably have to find it online Case doesn't show it's available

  4. #4JohninAK2024-05-09 00:01

    Having some trouble finding that part, maybe will see how I get along with out it

  5. #5Shimmy12024-05-09 00:07

    Loaded trucks for 20 years with 680E and 780C. With the Case linkage, all you need is a pointer attached under the bolt head that you adjust to line up with the bar to the bucket when it's level. This one looks like it's missing, but it goes right here.

  6. #6JohninAK2024-05-09 00:28

    I will have to take a look and see! Thanks

  7. #7JohninAK2024-05-09 11:55

    There is a bucket level witness mark that I had not noticed before, Thanks! I am sure I will get the hang of it. I bought this machine last year and spent some time this winter pulling some maintenance, fixing the door, fixing leaks, changing fluids, replacing seals and centering pins / bearings. Broke my leg in February and set me back two months, pulled it out of the shop last week and pretty happy with the old girl. We had the backhoe completely off for a number of reasons, had to adjust the foot swing pedals. What I noticed on Saturday when swinging left / right is, it doesn't slow down when it gets near the end of the swing? Seems like it should, is that just a pedal / linkage adjustment?

  8. #8Shimmy12024-05-09 15:11

    Nope. Operator required finesse.

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2024-05-09 20:15

    Sounds like someone didn’t put the cushion pin ,spring and ball in the swing cylinder n

  10. #10JohninAK2024-05-10 11:48

    Interesting thought, we replaced one cylinder with a new cylinder and suspect the other was original, which did not come apart.....

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2024-05-10 17:13

    Hmmmm