Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580e no foward no reverse please help

jimmynoshow · 2023-09-08 12:33

Hi I just purchased unknown year could be an 87 , case 580 E open cab . The machine was very well taken care of super clean has no blow by everything worked with no leaks the guy said he pressure washed it it was running fine no strain no nothing no noises and when he went to restart it no forward no reverse. A couple of weeks later he started it and it was working in forward and reverse Then he parked it and restarted it 4 months later he did say he just bumped a tree and I mean bumped he said he couldn’t get any foward or any reverse again after that . Im hoping it’s something stupid or a solenoid , or something along the lines of that I checked the fluid fluid seems good didn’t drain it or check anything yet I’m going to look at it tonight with my brother I was hoping to get this figured out I didn’t want to just dive into the shuttle drive I just feel like it could be something stupid a wire or a solenoid or something like that any advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance I know my way around the motor it’s a Cummins 4BT the Transmission I don’t know but I need to get it moved off the property I just ordered a manual for it delete if not allowed otherwise thank you

Replies24
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-09-08 15:19

    Is it a manual shuttle or electrical

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2023-09-08 15:21

    Check oil lever for shuttle, the dipstick is just above the starter the engine should be running when checked.

  3. #3jimmynoshow2023-09-08 17:55

    I will Sunday, thank you

  4. #4jimmynoshow2023-09-08 17:56

    Manual

  5. #5Dave Neubert2023-09-08 18:02

    work lever and have someone watch to see if linkage moves in shuttle

  6. #6HarleyHappy2023-09-08 18:05

    Check the cut out solenoid under the machine under the drivers side on the tranny. Since it doesn’t do forward or reverse I would look at that first and the wiring to the switch in the loader control and if on the floor, which mine does not have.

  7. #7farmer mike2023-09-08 18:28

    I have an 87 your machine is older judging by the way boom lift cylinders on the backhoe

  8. #8jimmynoshow2023-09-08 18:58

    I was underneath my brother-in-law was operating it I watched linkage was moving

  9. #9jimmynoshow2023-09-08 18:59

    Thank you I’m also trying to narrow that down too

  10. #10jimmynoshow2023-09-08 19:01

    I was looking at that too I also tapped it a few times with a ratchet handle to see if anything changed while we had it on the outriggers up in the air and in gear and saw that it was connected

  11. #11jimmynoshow2023-09-09 08:53

    I unplug the actuator on the left side of the transmission and everything seems to work fine so I’m ordering a new actuator Canobie ran without it seems like you can Like to thank everybody for the help I noticed a lot on forms when people resolve their problems they don’t follow up to let everybody know I just wanted to do that

  12. #12jimmynoshow2023-09-10 11:47

    Ser #9076496 i think it may be an early 83

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-09-10 12:17

    It is an early 1983. The first one produced was serial #9075919.

  14. #14jimmynoshow2023-09-10 13:15

    Thanks bud appreciate your time and response

  15. #15alrman2023-09-11 01:41

    If you unplugged the solenoid on the shuttle & it then drove ok, then replacing it will not solve your problem. One of the switches, either the floor gearshift or loader control lever are stuck & sending power to the solenoid.

  16. #16jimmynoshow2023-09-11 07:37

    Thanks caveman, I ordered an actuator, whats my next move ? How to test other switches? Or gear shifter

  17. #17jimmynoshow2023-09-11 10:12

    I told my buddy what you said he said it could be the foot switch underneath by the brake pedals I didn’t see any switches in the shifter for the bucket like it shows in the book but I was told I could still run it this way if that’s OK I didn’t want to damage the machine I think the guy said he had to go out in the field and he ended up unplugging many of them before they were fixed so the contractor could use them basically bypassed it ?

  18. #18jimmynoshow2023-09-13 09:24

    Bump

  19. #19alrman2023-09-13 16:55

    You need to use a test light or a multimeter. The switches should only have power on one wire that connects to them. If there is power to both sides, the switch is closed & needs some lube or replacing. If there is no switch (button) on loader control handle, maybe the wires are still inside the handle & may have connected somehow.

  20. #20jimmynoshow2023-09-13 17:12

    I was looking at the machine and played with a little bit today this morning yes there is a button on the loader control shifter And it was taped up so that probably hasn’t worked in a long time

  21. #21HarleyHappy2023-09-14 11:05

    Well, you really should get the disconnect working. If it’s working with the wires disconnected then I believe it is stuck.

  22. #22jimmynoshow2023-09-14 15:59

    I’m going to look into it Saturday take it apart see if it has power see if I can get the switch to work if not I’ll probably order a new switch case by me says they can get it no problem couple of days and hopefully we can get this working correctly thank you I will post my results Again guys thank you in advance for your responses I really appreciate it

  23. #23jimmynoshow2023-09-23 16:00

    Bought this , it should do the trick, button switch was all crusty 19mm Water Proof Starter Switch Boat Horn Momentary Push Button Stainless Steel | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 19mm Water Proof Starter Switch Boat Horn Momentary Push Button Stainless Steel at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com

  24. #24jimmynoshow2023-09-25 20:05

    That switch ended up working perfectly and mounted it in the loader bucket control stick , Works perfectly seven bucks