Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580e no power to gauges /won’t turn over

ron h · 2018-10-16 15:08

I have a 580e rops model, 1987 ish, One day I went out and turned the key and nothing... No power to gauges and it won't turn over. I cleaned and replaced ground on battery and battery is fully charged. The starter will turn over when jumped from the post to the solenoid. I have the model that has two relays under the instrument panel It has an open spot for a third but I believe thats for cab... I have two relays on order .. Thinking if its not that it might be key switch....Any other Ideas? My wiring diagram shows a circular solenoid, I do not have one and have been all over the machine and can't find one.... I just have a relay set up Any help appreciated. I have moved the shuttle arm but no luck, with it out of place the gauges should work and they don't... Thanks. Ron

Replies3
  1. #1catskinner 102018-10-17 12:53

    There were two different wiring harness for the E model. One early with round solenoid and test switch, and later With two relay's. You must have the later. Regardless you need to get a test light and start checking the Circuits. Starting at the Ign. switch, is what I would do. It's simple basic wiring. You should have power to switch, Power to the relay's, then when Ign. is on Another smaller wire at the relay's should be hot triggering the relay to supply power to the system. If you jump pass the relays with a jumper between the heavier wires and you power up then it is a relay. If it don't power up you have to keep[ tracing for the problem. Could be a relay ground problem. Very Common problem. Tom

  2. #2ron h2018-10-17 17:12

    Fixed it today!!!! Power at key switch was very dim with a test light!!!! It still read 12.4 volts so be careful. I had put in new key switch and 2 relays and still no power. So when I went to lower harness and pulled it apart main power pin was non existent it was just green mush. I cut both reds and jumpered them together with wire and bypassed connector. It is up and running and The gauges worked. Don’t let the voltmeter fool you. The test light was dim so there was volts but no amp load. Ron

  3. #3Delmer2018-10-17 18:02

    Good news. Always test electrical gremlins under load if possible.