Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580E transmission rebuilt but still not moving

GordH ยท 2019-06-06 14:57

Please direct me to the correct discussion thread and/or person. I followed all the steps in my repair manual and replaced the clutches and appropriate. seals, bearings, bushings and snap rings. I filled the trans with TDH to the correct level and hooked up everything (at least I think so), but the unit still won't move. I'd like some advice as to where to look next. Is the torque converter filled from the trans pump or is it separate? I'm in an off-grid, remote situation and could use some advice because getting this unit to a proper place would be too expensive etc. Thanks.

Replies15
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-06-07 07:05

    Welcome to HEF Gord ! To have gotten the most views of your question, this should have been posted in the tractor/ loader/ backhoe section. Anyway, filling the shuttle will also fill the torque convertor. Did you get the required 8 quarts of oil in it ? There is a specific procedure in the service manual for filling and checking the level. There are a lot of things that can be causing your problem. Could be as simple as a shift linkage problem or a damaged O ring.

  2. #2GordH2019-06-07 11:54

    Thanks Tinkerer. I didn't actually measure the amount that I put in but it seemed about close to 1 1/2 gallons-ish, but I also checked the linkage and watched it work what I think is properly but the o-ring thing, well, where do you begin on that one? I'm basically clutching at straws here because I followed through using a manual but as I know from experience, weird things can happen. I was just hoping for a really obvious dumb move on my part to be pointed out to me. Wiring hook-up shouldn't affect this correct? It's just guages, ignition cut-out etc. I'm stumped and thought maybe the torque converter's not getting filled or something?

  3. #3mitch5042019-06-07 13:22

    I think the only wiring that could do that is if you somehow had power to the clutch cut-out.

  4. #4GordH2019-06-07 14:04

    Right. So I'll take a look at that. Apparently there's a starting up procedure? I put in several quarts cold until I saw it on the filler stick, started it up and filled it to F. I shuttled back and forth for a few minutes with no movement. Dip stick shows full. How long does it take to fill the torque conv.? I was going to pull off the cooler line return and see if oil comes out, proving that the pump is in fact working.

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-06-07 16:11

    Clutch cut-out is the first thing to check after making sure the 8 quarts of oil was put in it. Trans-axle is in gear ---correct ? Did you remove the torque convertor with the shuttle ? Flex plate ok ? Might want to check and see if the convertor is turning when the engine is running.

  6. #6GordH2019-06-07 20:50

    Everything is correct as you say and no, I didn't touch the converter. I am going to take off the line to the cooler to see if oil is gushing out to prove the pump is in fact actually working, so as to eliminate that one. I'll tackle tomorrow.

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-06-07 20:59

    I would have taken the convertor out with the shuttle. Little to no chance of damaging the seal when mating it up to the shuttle on reassembly. It also allows inspection of the flex plate. I have seen flex plates that were within a heartbeat of total failure. That is why I asked if the convertor is actually turning when the engine is running.

  8. #8GordH2019-06-07 21:03

    Yah, it would've been nice to look at this site before I tackled it as it's the first job like this I've done and don't know the history of Case 580s etc. but everything I saw on Youtube pointed to exactly what I found - forward clutch pack goes. I also had the spring plate bust up too. Thanks for your ideas, and I'll let you know. Cheers.

  9. #9GordH2019-06-08 21:47

    No oil coming from the return line, post cooler, so I've drained the oil and will remove trans and take a look inside to see what's happened with the pump.

  10. #1063 caveman2019-06-09 07:25

    GordH, If your power shuttle is a borg/warner (I'm pretty sure that is what it is) no oil will flow to the cooler until the pressure builds passed relieve valve setting (ruffly 135psi) I would make sure the dump valve (clutch cut out) is not stuck. You say you found the forward pack warn out so did you replace all the rubber in the pump section of trans. with slipping forward pack the shuttle would have created a ton of heat and cooked all the rubber seals.

  11. #11Tinkerer2019-06-09 10:16

    Ummm, If you didn't remove and flush the convertor, that should get top priority before you start the engine again. It may be a piece of junk from all the crap from the clutches and seals the shuttle created. I would be shopping for a rebuilt one.

  12. #12GordH2019-06-09 11:37

    Got it. I'll take out the trans and go further to take out the converter. When I emptied the oil, it was quite dirty but no chunks. The clutch pack was in chunks like I said, as was the spring.

  13. #13GordH2019-06-09 12:28

    I'll start with removing the clutch cutout solenoid and the control valve to see if they got plugged up. I'd really like to not remove the solenoid and besides, I didn't see one video on Youtube suggesting to remove that. They instead went straight to the clutch pack and replacing so I thought that was that.

  14. #14Tinkerer2019-06-09 13:02

    There really isn't a need to remove the clutch cut-out solenoid. You just need to determine if the switches are working and it is in the engaged or disengage position. The YouTube video was probably a good one for the doing the clutch packs but surely wasn't a complete tutorial on how to overhaul a shuttle and every thing needed to do a complete repair. Do you have the service repair manual for your 580E ?

  15. #15GordH2019-06-09 16:57

    Yes, I do now and am going a little more indepth with it. Thanks.