Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k Backhoe in 2cnd gear should wheels spin

case310350 ยท 2011-07-07 10:14

Have a case 2wd 580k series 2. Should the backhoe wheels spin if pushing into a pile of dirt in second gear at full throttle, machine is on dirt. the clutches are not slipping. Case came out and looked at the machine and said it was fine, but all other backhoes I have used have much more pushing power than this machine. So I would like a definitive answer from someone who owns or has used this machine in the past.

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042011-07-07 15:02

    I have a 580 superK, and it has a heck of a lot of pushing power, but they are well set up, and balanced, for traction. It is unusual for it to spin in 2nd gear, and this is a good thing, since spinning is wasting power, and tearing up the work surface.

  2. #2nilzlofgren2011-07-07 20:33

    Again, I agree with Mitch. My 580K phase3, wont really spin in 2nd. It will push its balls off though. Spinning, is losing traction, and working against you. Also, I've never heard of a "series 2." Just phase 1, and phase 3. Serial number JJG0020000 and below, are phase1. JJG0020000 and above are phase 3.

  3. #3fpgm042011-07-07 22:26

    My 580sk rarely spins the wheels unless operating on slippery conditions such as a wet slope. However, it has plenty of power to trench dig with the front bucket. It is well balanced so the driveline power is applied to moving dirt, not spinning the wheels. Traction is a function of not only driveline power transfer, but also the weight of vehicle, condition of tire tread, ground conditions, and weight distribution of the vehicle. Are you comparing similarly equipped vehicles? For example if I recall correctly, an extendahoe on a 580k adds about 1400 pounds (hoe and counterweight) to the vehicle which would aid in traction over a standard hoe machine. Some other factors to an apples-to-apples comparison would be 4-in-1 buckets, optional counter weights, tire sizing, tire tread pattern, and cab or open-canopy. All of these effect the weight distribution of the vehicle and weight to the drive wheels for traction. Also if you are comparing Case to different brands, there are definitely differences. Some brands/models (in my opinion) definitely have poorer weight distributions which result in their wheels spinning, and therefore produces nothing but wear and tear on the driveline.

  4. #4Iron@Dirt2011-07-10 19:56

    If it was a ag tractor in south Louisiana and you didnt get 10 to 20 percent slip you would not get much work done. And we didnt even talk about power hop, and lead and lag ratio.

  5. #5mitch5042011-07-11 00:40

    He was just talking about stationary pushing against an immovable pile.

  6. #6bradley joe2011-07-17 22:56

    I have ran I 580 super m and super k for delta gas and allen co . The tires would some times spin but I was in rock or on a hill side . I was diging in a place that had a lot of clay and you could not do a thing to stop the spinning. you mite think of geting wheel weights for the back. but befor you buy any try unlocking your hoe and lay it down a bit to cantelever your weight see what that does it has worked for me when digging new ground.

  7. #7oceanobob2011-07-18 00:04

    This is probably a dumb question, but I have to ask it anyway......should this discussion differentiate between 4wd or 2wd? I have the K model with 4wd and have found that digging into a 'seasoned' stock pile is notably easier to get a full bucket in one motion if the machine is in 4wd because I can load the front tires via the weight of the dirt in the bucket and get lots of traction - but I am also in the midst of fixing the transaxle ring and pinion (broken teeth and loose bearings) ...... after reading this and thinking about it, now I am wondering if maybe I should limit 4wd for machine movements in difficult terrain and downhill braking, not for filling the loader bucket?

  8. #8mitch5042011-07-18 23:09

    I don't hesitate to use 4wd for more pushing power. If you read your operators manual (for a super K anyway) it recommends 4x4 for most everything but hard surfaces and 3rd and 4th gear.