Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580k backhoe kingpin 4 wheel drive

Lou Peterson ยท 2020-03-26 01:01

how much work is involved in repairing kingpins for a 580K 4 wheel drive

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-03-26 10:14

    Welcome to HEF, Lou ! Quite a bit. Do you have a service manual ? If not I recommend that you get one because you will be needing it many times. I can copy and email you the pages showing the procedure if need them immediately.

  2. #2Bootheal2020-03-27 00:40

    I also have a question if the kingpin you are referring to is the pivot shaft for the front axle. How do you check for worn bushings & pin on the front axle? 580M Thank you

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-03-27 08:49

    Lou has a 4 wheel drive. #12 and #16 are what his kingpins look like. Put a jack under the counterweight and slightly raise the front of the tractor. Any looseness can easily be seen in the axle center pin not the king pins.

  4. #4Bootheal2020-03-27 09:39

    Thanks for explaining the terms.

  5. #5Lou Peterson2020-04-02 02:33

    thanks gang...for the info...big help for the brakedown

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-04-02 06:55

    Thanks for the update !

  7. #7Willie B2020-04-02 08:02

    My 1956 Powerwagon has a similar set up. The manual calls them trunion bearings. I'd say it isn't a big deal to replace, or reshim them. Mine needed seals, and if I recall we replaced wheel bearings at the time, the planetary was leaking. If I recall correctly, they are tapered, and minor wear can be corrected by removing three bolts top & bottom, and removing shims. It IS something you'll want a manual for.