Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K – determine Hydraulic oil level….

rdavison39 ยท 2015-08-19 11:53

Hi there - I have a 1990 Case580k and the hydraulic oil level glass viewer is opaque and I can't really tell if the hydraulic oil is above that level where the glass sits or below it. Is there another way of telling (like a dipstick) what level I'm at....need to know if I need to add more or have added too much??? Thanks Ron

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2015-08-19 21:14

    Have you considered removing the sight glass and cleaning it ?

  2. #2hookedondiesel2015-08-20 07:23

    John Deere sells a dye that can be added to the oil to see it better, red I believe.

  3. #3apm2015-08-20 14:12

    I've got a Case dozer and a Case skidsteer. On both of them, the sight glass unscrews. I took them out and cleaned them like mentioned above and they came back very clear and easy to read. Greg

  4. #4caver2015-08-21 14:38

    We have similar sight glasses at work on large electric motor bearings and would often get work orders to remove and clean them.

  5. #5rdavison392015-08-31 10:26

    Thanks all. I was able to get the glass eye out with the help of a pipe wrench and very long pipe extension. Cleaned it out and works fine. Thank you all for your replies

  6. #6Tinkerer2015-08-31 14:51

    Thanks for letting us know you resolved the problem.