Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K – how to remove quick coupler bushings

DualsportWA ยท 2015-06-08 00:26

Hi all- I am about to replace the quick coupler link on my Case 580K with a replacement part, and noticed after taking out the pin that there's two bushings inside that keep the link from falling off the end-of-boom pivot when changing buckets. I rapped on the bushing with a punch, and it did not seem to want to move. What's the best way to get these out with "farm tools" Pictures:

Replies2
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-06-08 19:34

    Dog bone removel Hey, you have a good little project on your hands. I want to (stress caution) about this repair do to the chance of breaking a ear on the stick which is a high dollar part, several thousand dollars. The correct way is to have the driver/remover adapter made to do this and a threw shaft puller with a 1" threaded rod to remove and pull the bushings in. To remove the bone unpin the dog bone link from the bucket linkage, let it hang down, stretch the boom and stick out and take a thin cutoff wheel and cut between the stick ears and link and remove it. Next cut or grind the bushing left in both side of the stick ears and remove, do not damage the duct steel bore. The link is supported from each side with a bushing that goes threw the stick ears, and allows the link to swivel on those longer bushings that are press fit in and extend into the link. At this point you would use the puller to press the rt/lt bushing flush to the inside flange, then one side about a 1/16 more, install the dog bone and run your puller rod all the way threw to the other side. You have to shim the link tight so there is no pressure on the stick ears when pushing the bushing the rest of the way in. Once bushings flush on the outer ears your done. I use a 17.5 otc twin cylinder push puller on most some times it takes more. Dry ice can help but you have to be fast with the bushings, I would not beat on those ears with a sledge hammer, I have see those stick ears broken both ways, hammer and puller and it is not a good sight. The driver installer tool is 3/8 " thick, 2 1/8" round. make a step cut 1/8" to 1 5/8". drill a 1" hole in the center. now make the total height 1 1/2" from the center. This tool allows you to slide it into the bore and catch the end of the bushing using a 1 " B7 threaded rod with a support washer and nut, the rod extends out far enough to have a sleeve bigger than the bushing and supported on the ears to pull against to mech pull it out rather than cutting it with a cut off wheel like said above. If you have a dealer, ask them for a copy of service Bulletin NLB SB 004 88 issued 1/26/88. More later if needed

  2. #2DualsportWA2015-06-09 13:43

    Thanks sheepfoot! I'll have to plan out the job carefully, thanks for the heads-up on being careful with the ears. With a metal lathe, plasma cutter, and welder on hand, I'm sure I can make the tool.