Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580K phase 1, what is this tank?

dirtfreak580 · 2023-01-05 22:06

hi Guys, new here. Searched the parts manual, looked on here and still can’t see what this tank is for. Located between the fuel and hydraulic reservoir. What goes in here?

Replies24
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-01-06 00:06

    Radiator overflow.?? Just thinking out loud .

  2. #2dirtfreak5802023-01-06 01:06

    Doesn’t look stock to me, I’m going to have to take it out and see where this goes. Looks to be some hydraulic fluid in the bottom of tank, very little tho, but that is only a guess. The rad overflow is at the front of the engine also, that looks correct, also matches the books. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what should be in here, because right now there is only a very small amount of clear fluid at the bottom of the tank. May be hydraulic. I guess nothing is going to be easy. Just prepping to do all of the fluids and filters.

  3. #3Coaldust2023-01-06 01:27

    Auxiliary diesel tank. It’s supposed to be connected to the main tank. IDK why Case did that.

  4. #4dirtfreak5802023-01-06 08:41

    I am not sure how that would work? You can’t run out your main tank then switch to the auxiliary tank, because everything would have to be bled out, correct? Strange I can’t find anything in any manuals about that. I’m not at the machine right now but I’m going to have to pull it out and see where it goes.

  5. #5Coaldust2023-01-06 08:56

    Maybe the original function was for it to act as a breather and overflow for the main fuel tank. You should find a hose on the bottom that routes to the main fuel tank.

  6. #6dirtfreak5802023-01-06 09:04

    That makes sense, I have yet to completely fill the fuel tank. When I fill the tank, it would back up into the auxilliary tank showing the main being full. I'll look into that.

  7. #7Steve Favia2023-01-06 09:33

    That’s strange, I have a 580K series 3 don’t have that. I have 2 brake fluid reservoirs there.

  8. #8dirtfreak5802023-01-06 09:39

    You cant see the reservoirs in this picture. but they are to the right at the bottom. You can see the master cylinders just at the bottom of the pic.

  9. #9Tinkerer2023-01-06 10:11

    Don't put any fuel in it ! It is the transparent reservoir (tank) for the brake fluid. NO Dot 3 in it ! There should be two lines on the bottom of it and they go to each master cylinder.

  10. #10dirtfreak5802023-01-06 10:49

    The brake fluid reservoirs are out of the picture to the right. They sit right above the masters. The center of the screen is the tank we are looking at.

  11. #11Coaldust2023-01-06 11:08

    I don’t think we will ever know the true meaning of the mystery reservoir. Maybe it’s not meant for us to know. Perhaps, the average Case owner can utilize it as a safe place, to keep their hopes & dreams for a rainy day?

  12. #12dirtfreak5802023-01-06 11:53

    Now THAT is the answer I expected, Why is it when I buy one of these machines it is a unicorn? I'll repost when I get back to this in about a week. For the time being I''ll happily entertain any guesses.

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-01-06 15:38

    My bad. The brake reservoir is off to the right outa sight.

  14. #14Mike852023-01-06 15:43

    Looks like a window washer fluid tank? Or for a diesel fired coolant heater?

  15. #15mitch5042023-01-06 19:56

    On the K ph 3, they show an auxiliary fuel tank there, it just has 2 small rubber hoses that hook to fittings in the main tank. It just adds extra capacity, no switching capability. However, you say that's not a ph 3, and I thought the aux fuel tank would be bigger.

  16. #16dirtfreak5802023-01-06 20:58

    Mine is Phase 1, Shifter on the floor, not console. My serial number is hard to read but I can see JJG0010???. I see from other posts that I may be able to see it on the loader frame, I will check for it there. But with what I can see the number is below the JJG020000??? number I have seen on other posts.

  17. #17alrman2023-01-06 21:18

    Ok, here's my take on it. Looks like a breather on top, I think it is an oil acummulation bottle for the shuttle. Since it is an early K - the power shuttle transmissions in these would sometimes (when there was something wrong with them) spew oil out of the breather on top of the shuttle. I think someone has thought to fit this bottle, with a hose running to the original breather location, to catch the oil & then return it to the shuttle when cold. All 1150D/E/G/H dozers use a similar shaped reservior - without the added breather on the cap.

  18. #18dirtfreak5802023-01-06 21:57

    It does look like a breather cap. I will post what I find next weekend when I get back to this.

  19. #19mitch5042023-01-07 01:48

    Yep, I bet you a nickel Alrman is right!

  20. #20Tinkerer2023-01-07 09:21

    Alrman is right as usual ! The dozer parts book calls it a transmission fluid recovery bottle. I wonder why there is a hose with a bolt screwed into it to block the vent. Seems to me it would defeat the purpose of the tank.

  21. #21Willie B2023-01-10 20:43

    Sitting in the seat facing the loader, left is fuel, right is hydraulic. I feel like mine had brake fluid in the middle, but not exactly where yours is. I'll check.

  22. #22dirtfreak5802023-05-06 11:54

    I finally have time to update on this tank, it is a breather coming from the shuttle. Hytran accumulates back up in this tank after running for a while. What I have found now like airman replied i am going to say there is a problem in the shuttle. When running for about 20 minutes or so it will drive forward and backward ok at first then after it gets hotter it starts to slip and will not push into a pile of dirt, kinda like it goes to neutral. This machine has 4000+ hours and it looks like I may need to do a rebuild of the shuttle. At first I thought it was just low on fluid and added about two quarts of Hytran and worked fine for a while. Also there is alot of oil around the shuttle also, so there is also fluid leaking from it also. I searched on here and see the proper way to check the fluid level was at temperature, in 4th gear and shuttle in neutral. So when it stopped driving I checked the fluid and it was low again. I thought diesel was expensive these days but try putting a couple quarts of Hytran in every time you want to run for an Hour!! Any thoughts? Thanks everybody for your time in replying to this...

  23. #23Dan580Ks2023-08-13 06:10

    My super k aux tank holds 10 or 15 gallons, and looks nothing like that

  24. #24dirtfreak5802023-08-13 12:29

    Hey Dan, this tank goes to the breather on the shuttle. When I first got the machine I did not understand what it was. Since I’ve owned this machine now for a while, I keep the shuttle up to level and it runs fine although sometimes I see Hytran coming up into that tank. maybe somebody put it on to catch that fluid? Whatever the machine runs fine lately.