Good afternoon everyone, I have a case 580k that I first had starting issues. I replace battery, ground wires, alternator and starter. She starts right up now the problem I am having is the starter starts to smoke 15 minutes into running the backhoe. I am at a lose can someone please give me direction?
Can you see if the bendix is not allowing the starter pinion to disengage from the flywheel after the motor is running?
Haven’t checked that yet but replaced the ignition switch. You can still hear the starter trying to run even with the switch in off position.
Welcome to HEF, Lorreta ! Do not run the machine until you get the starter problem sorted out. It may be ruined already.
Hope you mean ruining the starter and not the backhoe itself
Yes, he was referring to the starter, not the entire backhoe. From what you described in your 2nd post, your starter is not disengaging after the motor starts. The smoke is coming from the diesel engine now turning the starter for way longer than it was ever designed for. Who knows, you may have even turned the starter into a small generator. Disconnect the wires from the starter and unbolt it from the engine. You should be able to take a good 12v battery and some jumper cables and connect it to the starter to see if it is still good. You should probably put the starter in a vise or somehow secure it before you do this, they can sometimes jump around a bit. When you put power to a good starter, you should see the small gear on the end move out, away from the starter motor and spin. When you remove power, the gear should retract and stop spinning.
Can someone tell me if this looks wired wrong don’t want to burn up another starter
Try again, no pic here