My engine at idle has a slight vibration. When i increase rpm"s a little it is real smooth until i get to a certain point and then the front of the engine mostly starts to shake. The idler/tensioner pulley starts to bounce in and out also. Looked at the mounts and they seem to look good. Any ideas?
Check the harmonic balancer on the crank pulley ,the rubber damper may be deceased .
Yeah man, check the harmonic balancer for sure. Also check the fan shaft bearings, I've had to rebuild the bearings for the fan shaft on several Cummins engines.
Yep,I agree with stock & ATCO.I have noticed alot of the smaller diesel engines built nowdays shake & viberate alot at idle then smooth out as you increase rpm's.My buddy has a 4bt cummins in his timberjack skidder and the engine shakes at idle,also my 3 cylinder diesel in the JD 8875 skidloader shakes bad at idle.I think some engine manufacturers need to learn how to balance an engine.My GM Detroit diesel engine's operate smooth at any rpm although a little noisy at higher rpm's
Update Thanks for info! Checked all pulleys and hamonic balancer. Tore it down a little more and found that someone has replaced the hydraulic pump at one time and put the rubber bushing mounts upside down and have only a washer between mount and frame. Ordering 2 rubber bushings and hope that helps.
580k vibration Put the new front rubber mounts in and took care of vibration. Vibrates while at low idle. Normal i guess. No more from there to full throttle. Thanks for any help.
fasstang65, My 580k has also been vibrating at idle for a while now. One of the rubbers on the front mount is done. Can I just jack engine up a few inches from the underside to get the new one in? Any tips or tricks would be a great help. Thanks
Welcome to HEF dirtworks!:drinkup Yes, the front engine mounts can be fitted by raising the engine. 1) Make sure you jack the engine where the sump bolts to engine block & not directly on the pan - it will dent. 2) Use some rubber grease on the mounts so they will slide into the holes on the front cradle with ease. 3) The mounts must be fitted from under the cradle - (amazing how many I have seen fitted from above) 4) Careful when raising the engine - watch the fan hitting the radiator shroud - sometimes the shroud must be removed to give enough clearance. They will break if forced. 5) Bit of a challenge to fit the engine mount bolts - need a good magnetic pick up tool - fit the washer to the bolt & wrap some electrical tape around the bolt to hold washer in place. Now it's just like playing 'operation' when you were a kid, hold your tongue the right way & get the bolt into the hole without touching anything else, or the bolt will drop into a cavity under front pulley :spaz.......... you will know what I mean.
thanks Alrman great and much appreciated.
Just realized you should be welcoming me - joined Jan 2008 & only 3 posts - where you been!
Been so long I had forgot my password. Any idea why I am not able to post? That is why I posted my question as a reply. I seem to have no privileges and have not heard back form Steve, the administrator.
Replaced front rubber insulators and although engine rough at idle like you guys talk about I am no longer feeling it in the seat. Just like a Cadilac -well maybe not quite. Sure smooths out when you pick up the RPM's a bit. Thanks for the help guys hope you had a good weekend.