Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k won’t start

Johnnymc · 2020-11-10 14:11

I was moving sand with my new to me 1989 phase 3 580k. The motor quit. The fuel gauge had been on 1/2 for a long time so I thought that must be it. I put fuel in and followed a post on here. The manual pump is loose and no pressure on it. Checked the screw on filter and it's full. checked three bleeders and had fuel dripping. When I crank it over I don't see any white smoke. I'm not a mechanic and new to diesels and don't know what to do. I could use some advice / help. Thanks in advance.

Replies52
  1. #1alrman2020-11-10 16:21

    First, you need to test the fuel shut off solenoid (located under the injector pump) - power supply operation Once the solenoid operation is verified as OK - & it still wont fire up, then you have a fuel issue. Either a blockage in supply OR air in the system OR both. Remove the fuel hose to the lift pump & verify a good supply - if none, check the inline filter, if dirty - replace it (some are located down near the chassis) then, blow some compressed air down the line to clear any blockage. The fuel should be squirting from the primer screws (the injector pump screws are done with the ignition ON) If the hand primer is loose, try giving the starter a little bump to rotate the engine a little & get the lift pump 'off cam'. If the hand primer is too worn to activate the pump you can use compressed air to push the fuel through by putting a nozzle into the fuel filler & sealing the opening up with a rag.... OR fit a new lift pump. Once fuel is squirting from the primer screws - then loosen the high pressure lines at the injectors & crank the engine till fuel is squirting from the loosened lines, tighten & fire it up.

  2. #2Valerio Faccin2020-11-10 20:55

    you must check de shutoff solenoid in the inyection fuel pump maybe is disconected or have electrical problem whit te fuse

  3. #3thepumpguysc2020-11-11 08:17

    GREAT check list Alrman.!! I have nothing to add.. Hope he gets it running.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-11-11 08:49

    Welcome to HEF, Valerio !

  5. #5Johnnymc2020-11-11 14:28

    Hi guys, sorry I was off line for a bit and I'm still figuring out how to get back to a thread once I've started it lol. So yesterday I had someone turn it over while I checked the bleeders that you had labeled on another thread. I have fuel pressure without bubbles at all the bleeders and on the pump itself but nothing coming out of the lines. First I checked one injector then I loosed the line at the pump. Nothing at all coming out of the pump ? Do I still need to check the solenoid? Or what's my next step. Is the pump possibly bad ?

  6. #6Delmer2020-11-11 14:39

    Yes, the pump could be bad, that's why you check the solenoid first. If it's what I'm thinking, and what it sounds like Alrman is describing, then it's a common failure on cummins engines with this solenoid, and it's also easy to see move, and easy to wire open to run. Did you run out of fuel? you said you added fuel, but how was the level before adding fuel? and what did it sound like when it died? sudden like the key shut off, or struggling for a bit?

  7. #7Johnnymc2020-11-11 15:05

    A

  8. #8Johnnymc2020-11-11 15:10

    I had thought it ran out of fuel but now I don't think so. Similar to shutting off the key maybe for less than a second it lost power but I was moving at the time. I have always avoided electrical problems on vehicles, I guess I wont be able to say that after today lol. I dont have a meter or tester. Do I need to get one or is there another way.

  9. #9Johnnymc2020-11-11 15:23

    Also I have only owned the machine a couple of months. All the filters look brand new and the inline filter is right at the lift pump and brand new shiny. I know that doesn't mean they are clean but I do get good pressure squirting from the bleeders. How do I check the solenoid ?

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-11-11 15:28

    All new filters when you bought it indicates that the previous owner was having problems. Connect a voltmeter to the wire on the solenoid on the pump. It has to have power when you turn the ignition switch on. Even if it does, there could still be a corroded or loose connection in the circuit.

  11. #11alrman2020-11-11 15:40

    If you put an ear near the injector pump & have someone turn on the ignition, you will hear it click if it's working. OR disconnect & reconnect the wire with the ignition on.

  12. #12Johnnymc2020-11-11 15:50

    What does the solenoid look like. I just found a loose wire

  13. #13Johnnymc2020-11-11 15:51

    If I could only be this lucky ??????

  14. #14sled dog2020-11-11 16:11

    Johnny, do you see in the pic where that wire goes? Pulled out of that spade connector.

  15. #15Tinkerer2020-11-11 16:12

    Yes ! You are lucky if it functions when you solder that wire onto the spade connector. That was a sorry crimp job.

  16. #16Johnnymc2020-11-11 16:30

    Yes I didnt want to put it back on until you told me to.

  17. #17sled dog2020-11-11 16:34

    Johnny, with your ignition switch on, touch that wire to the spade, you should hear a click.

  18. #18Johnnymc2020-11-11 16:53

    YES IT CLICKED !!

  19. #19Johnnymc2020-11-11 16:56

    So I had one injector line off. So bleed that line at the injector ? How about the other injectors ? I did not loosen any of those.

  20. #20Johnnymc2020-11-11 17:01

    And bye the way, you guys are awesome. This site is the best tool I have. Without you I think I might have payed for a service call for a loose wire. Like calling an electrician to turn a light switch on. Lol phew. I'll sleep alot better tonight. I'll let you know in the morning if I got er runnin.

  21. #21sled dog2020-11-11 18:07

    Johnny, I'm an old retired wrench and welder. Can normally hold my own with what I tackle. But, I don't know jack **** compared to lots of the guys and gals on here. But I still like to learn. Here, you have people from all over the world wanting to help, and all we ask is that you listen. Share what you got, keep us informed, post pics. And pretty soon you got some real fine friends that you may never meet!!!

  22. #22Johnnymc2020-11-11 18:26

    Absolutely, those are some pretty easy rules to follow. I cant say enough about how much I appreciate it. I'm kinda embarrassed it was such an easy foolish thing but I did learn alot ahout how it works so it was worth it to me, and you guys have amazing patience

  23. #23sled dog2020-11-11 18:38

    Nothing to be embarrassed about. Do you think for one second that something simple hasn't bit every one of us in the *** ? File it away, keep looking, keep asking, keep learning. I've said it before on here, " when you know what the magician knows, it's not magic anymore "

  24. #24Delmer2020-11-11 19:16

    If that's the only wire going to your injection pump, then I guess you found it. Sorry about confusing you earlier, I was thinking of a different injection pump style. If you didn't run out of fuel, then there's no need to bleed the injector lines. Tighten that one up and it should start right up.

  25. #25thepumpguysc2020-11-12 04:45

    I’ve always said that about this site.!! Where else could u go & write out a problem that’s been kickin yer azz for the last 8hr & go to bed.. THEN wake up & have your problem solved by someone 4000 miles away.?? This IS a GREAT SITE.!!

  26. #26Johnnymc2020-11-12 08:52

    The old girl is up and running !! B E A UTIFUL

  27. #27stinky642020-11-12 20:41

    Best part about this site is you don't even have to write and post...every problem I encountered with my machine had already been discussed many times before...read every reply, took the general consensus and walaa...fixed my problems....this truly is a GREAT SITE!!!!

  28. #28stinky642020-11-13 01:46

    sled dog, I love that quote...younger guys that I have worked with over the years come seek the older "keeper of knowledge" when they can't fix something....when I fix the problem in 5 mins. and they still look perplexed...I tell them it's MAGIC.. that is why we visit this site...for "keepers of knowledge"

  29. #29sled dog2020-11-13 04:47

    Stinky, "keeper of knowledge". I like that. Yes it has always been, and still is a little, that with with me. I love to teach someone that wants to learn, but also enjoy the look on their face when I do something "magic". The knowledge brings understanding, and the understanding brings speed. And I dont mean shortcuts on safety, not that speed. We know that if we check "A", and it's ok, we can jump to "D" without having to check B and C. We know how it works, that's the understanding. And we have done and seen it before, that's the knowledge. Does that make any sense to you? Is it that way for you too?

  30. #30Willie B2020-11-13 07:21

    Mine does it every couple years. I can't find good quality spade connectors. Vibration I guess.

  31. #31Tinkerer2020-11-13 07:34

    New, replacement solenoids have a stud and nut to attach the wire.

  32. #32stinky642020-11-13 13:27
  33. #33stinky642020-11-13 13:33

    Absolutely makes sense...you can't do your thing if you have to babysit,so the more you learn em the less you have to watch em.....We've all been green and I always appreciated all the things that the previous "keepers" showed me....problem is these days ya show them the same thing 3 times and they still don't get it.....oops still haven't figured out the quote/post thing yet,maybe someone can tell me 2 more times

  34. #34Willie B2020-11-13 18:01

    Last time I needed one my Case Dealer came up NLA. They offered no alternate number. It was identical to my Dresser bulldozer. My Dresser dealer had one on the shelf. No telling how long it had been there.

  35. #35Willie B2020-11-13 19:05

    I have 2+ 5 sons. Two I once claimed on income tax forms, the others I don't exactly know why I was blessed with them. I think they either like my toys, or Mrs. B's cooking. Each son had a group of friends, They, with their mates flowed through this house on a daily basis. I once said: "Show up hungry after 10:00 PM You eat venison, and yes, I cook wearing what I am wearing" I did make an exception, NO LONG JOHNS IF GIRLS ARE PRESENT. They still ate venison after 10:00 Mercifully, the crowds have thinned. We still see ALL of them, but not as often. I was honored when one of the extras broke his leg yesterday. I was his first call! Turns out it was slightly less than a break, but he will NOT climb trees again this calendar year. Have they learned anything from me? Probably not, Seth has spent thousands of hours with me, I hope so. Zachary went from scarcely noticing me as we passed in the hall, to college, to his first, second, third, and fourth job after college. He is now upwardly mobile, married to a medical engineer, marathon runner. I sure want to take some fraction of the credit. The others are all settling in as adults. All have solid jobs where they continue to grow. Only one is not married. He's near 40 now, assures me he does not want to be married. None have divorced. I am profoundly proud of my expanded family, & their women. I can't take any credit, but I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over.

  36. #36sled dog2020-11-13 20:24

    Stinky, yeah we've all been green. All I ever wanted to do from age 6 was run big iron, cause that's what my Dad did. So when I started I knew I didn't know nothing. But I asked, and listened and watched. When those older guys saw that I wanted to learn, that I wanted to be good like them, well, they kinda took me under their wing and made an Operator of me. Nearly all those guys that taught me, that taught us, are gone now. And we are them. We have spent our lives learning what we know. If we can't or don't pass it on, that knowledge is lost. I just talked to my wife the other day about this site, and my friends here that I may never meet. How amazing it is that so many of us oldsters from all over the world are here, sharing knowledge, wanting to help, wanting to pass it on. How diverse we all are, and yet so amazingly alike. Sometimes I guess we just need to talk to others that can speak the same language. And I don't mean English or French or Russian. Make sense?

  37. #37Tinkerer2020-11-14 10:44

    The Case dealer did you a favor Willie. I see Messick's wants over $100.00 for one. There are a lot of vendors selling them on the internet for as low as $40 and change.

  38. #38rollar2025-03-22 18:45

    3/22/25 old messages are still helping. fuel pressure from lift pump but no fuel out of pump. thought there might be something shutting it off. now I'll go look and check. thanks

  39. #39thepumpguysc2025-03-22 19:37

    How about telling use what kinda injection pump u have and maybe some numbers.. DO NOT SCRAPE THE NAME PLATE.. its thin tin and u can easily scratch the #’s off..

  40. #40rollar2025-03-22 19:54

    U3042F840 21800165HHU A71 L-1100-1-2400 Thats all the #s on the [late top to bottom. I've had it since 2004, never replaced injector pump or lift pump. maybe it's time.

  41. #41thepumpguysc2025-03-22 20:15

    Dam.. that was quick.!! U lost me on the last post.. “Fuel pressure from lift pump but no fuel out of pump” I’m gonna assume that u have fuel out of lift pump going to the injection pump but no fuel outta the injection pump.. Loosen the 5/16 bleeder screw by the name plate and crank the engine.. it should shoot about 6ft.. If it does, snug it back up.. Loosen ALL THE STEEL LINES AT THE INJECTORS FROM THE PUMP..(or as many as you can reach) Pull the throttle wide open and make sure the long leg on the shut off lever is pointing toward the radiator..(forward) Now crank the engine until fuel starts spitting out of the loosened lines.. Once that happens, tighten the lines at the injectors and start the engine..

  42. #42rollar2025-03-22 20:24

    that's correct fuel to lift pump to the injector pump but not out. I seen the 5/16 but didn't touch it. and I also didn't touch the throttle. getting dark now. I will try this in the morning. thank you!

  43. #43thepumpguysc2025-03-22 20:25

    I can handle the 1st replacement problem, if it comes down to it.

  44. #44thepumpguysc2025-03-22 20:27

    How long has this sat unused.??

  45. #45thepumpguysc2025-03-22 20:34

    Alrighty then.. might as well stay on this thread.. unless someone has other ideas.?? See ya tomorrow..

  46. #46rollar2025-03-23 09:51

    it has been sitting since, September. I took off all the cylinders then and rebuilt them, new hoses. (winter Job) getting ready to go try again.

  47. #47thepumpguysc2025-03-23 10:29

    Let us know how you make out.

  48. #48rollar2025-03-23 16:25

    Put air to tank, opened bleeders had fuel to the 5/16 bolt turned over motor no fuel going to the injector lines. stopped turning over motor. decided to check fuel shut off had grandson turnkey off then on, could not feel it click (getting power) tried again solenoid started getting very warm. there are a few leaks on the pump (where linkage is) maybe it would be better to change it out. it's at least 22 years old. Not a bad run.

  49. #49rollar2025-03-23 16:32

    spring loaded piece i called linkage.

  50. #50thepumpguysc2025-03-23 16:53

    Those pumps were made to run, PLUS OR MINUS A BUCKET OF DIRT…

  51. #51thepumpguysc2025-03-23 16:53

    Gonna send u a prvt msg.

  52. #52rollar2025-03-23 17:04

    I will keep an eye out for it.