Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580L – How to test primer on Case Cummins lift pump?

DirtIsMyName ยท 2011-08-05 20:45

I want to change my fuel filters and I was trying the primer on the lift pump. Is it supposed to pump on the upstroke or downstroke? I was planning to pull a bleeder and see if it would pump, but it doesn't feel like it does anything. I was told that the lift pump is a commonly replaced item on these engines, should I buy one? I have over 3000 hours on a 13 year old backhoe.

Replies4
  1. #1willie592011-08-05 21:03

    You have to make sure lever on lift pump is not sitting on high cam lobe, primer lever on lift pump won't do anything when it is. Might have to bump engine with starter to position pump lever on low cam, then primer lever will operate pump. You can open bleed screw on outlet line of fuel filter and bleed air from filter with primer lever.

  2. #2DirtIsMyName2011-08-05 23:58

    Thanks, that would explain what I felt. I'll try again.

  3. #3DirtIsMyName2011-08-09 09:06

    This worked for me, thanks again. The upstroke pumps fuel but it has no feel to it so it probably works, try it. This engine is friendly with respect to air in the lines. I have had engines that would not run if there was any air anywhere in the lines. This one never even stumbled. The inline filter is unique, it has a compression type fitting on one side so the inlet and outlet on the filter are different, Baldwin BF1052. I did have an issue with Baldwin part numbers for the screw-on filter, BF1280 doesn't fit.

  4. #4alrman2011-08-09 16:57

    Try BF1226