Hello everybody, I am new to this form and need some help. I replaced the fuel/ water separator on my case 580l serious 2 with a n/a cummings 3.9 engine. It is now air locked and I cant get any fuel to it. I tried to prime it and their was no resistant at the pump at all. I bought a new fuel pump and am going to install I tomorrow. I know their is a bleed screw, but do any Of you have a image of it??? Thank you for your help an taking your time to read my post.
When there's no resistance at the pump, it usually means the engine stopped with the pump drive cam at the bottom of it's stroke. It is holding the pump arm down; in this position the manual lever can't pump fuel. try bumping the starter over a few times and see if you can't get it to stop where it will work. The bleed screw on the injector pump should look like a small screw screwed into a slightly bigger nut. BTW, my father was USMC from '49 to '70
Welcome to HEF usmc1973! What Mitch says ... plus this thread describes how to prime a 580K - which is very similar to a 580L N/A as far as engines go. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Mitch is right on about the cam position if there is no resistance on the lever. It also helps to understand that you're not pumping fuel when you push down the lever, you're pulling the diaphragm back against the spring pressure, so if you have equal pressure pushing down and letting off then there's air in the pump. Push down against the spring pressure and it comes back up slowly then it's pumping fuel, ie it's moving. Then when it gets pumped up, the diaphragm won't return and you'll get just the lightest spring pressure that holds the lever from flopping around when the engine is running. When it's harder than usual to push the lever down it's pulling a vacuum, something's plugged on the supply.
Hey, thank ou all for all the help. I'm going to try it as soon as I get home. I serve from 2007- to 2011 the 1973 for the year of my mustang.