Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M injector problems starting

RandyRandy ยท 2014-11-19 09:10

I have a case 580M. The tractor started having starting issues and would not start wothout prolonged cranking of several minutes. Once started it will run and restart just fine for the day. However I will have the same problem after it sits overnight and I go to restart it. I found the pump had lost one mounting bolt completely and the other one was very loose. So I got a new bolt, replaced it and retightened the bolts. However I continue with the same starting problem. Seems like the injector looses prime every day. I imagine this was caused by the injector becoming loose. Any suggestions on what to do to correct this.

Replies5
  1. #1RandyRandy2014-11-19 09:17

    it is a 2007 series 2 if it helps

  2. #2Delmer2014-11-19 20:02

    First, check your oil level and watch it religiously so it doesn't get diluted by fuel leaking past the seal. I'd check all the fuel piping around the injection pump, transfer pump and filters. The easiest explanation is a loose fitting, or crack, or bad seal somewhere in the fuel supply/return area. Have you tried using the priming pump before trying to start it cold? It's not blowing white smoke while it's cranking is it?

  3. #3hookedondiesel2014-11-21 07:14

    Good call, it does sound like air intrusion from somewhere. Bypassing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric pump will prime the fuel filter much faster and most likely eliminate your "long" starting issues.

  4. #4tdrainage2014-11-22 14:15

    I also have a 580SM series II - we have had that problem twice now. We have found that the line between the tank and pump had (on one) a pin hole and (on the other M) a crack in the line allowing them to lose prime. Better figure a solid 1 1/2 hrs to change.

  5. #5biggerhammer2014-11-26 02:35

    That injection pump has an advance solenoid on it that gets its signal from a temp sensor in the head for starting when cold. The switch opens @ 160 deg F.