Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M Swing Cylinder Bushing Removal

Bote · 2025-05-10 13:51

I’ve got the boom/swing tower off my Case 580M and am replacing all the swivel bushings. I’d like to replace the 8 swing cylinder trunnion bushings while swing tower is out of the way. Anyone with experience removing the four trunnion bushings off the swing cylinder (#3) Not sure if there’s anything to grab onto. What about the two upper trunnion bushings in the bolt-on plate (#12A)? These are pressed into a blind bore and not sure what I’ll have to grab onto there either. A bud told me of a guy who ended up taking both cylinders to a shop and having those cut off.

Replies6
  1. #1Simon C2025-05-10 14:43

    Take a 5 inch grinder and carefully cut into the side of the bearings and when they get thin hit with a large punch and it will split and then pull off. I have taken some off this way. Simon C

  2. #2Bote2025-05-10 15:03

    How did you press the new bushings on the cylinders? I'd like to do it in place rather than disconnect them from the hoses and put them in the shop press. With the right homemade adapters my cheap Amazon/HarborFreight rig will get just about any bushings out lol.

  3. #3alrman2025-05-10 19:31

    If you warm them up a little they will slip straight on. Some oil in an old electric deep fryer is the safest way. Can use an oxy torch - but it's a fine line between the right temp & overheating them..... If you try to press them on cold or use a hammer - they often crack.

  4. #4Bote2025-05-12 11:33

    That's great ALR! I often don't think of the simplest things and end up doing stuff the hard way. Good to know that they can split if pressed on cold cause that's what I would have done. Wouldn't have seen that coming as it looks like there's less than .002" interference fit (minimum .04mm).

  5. #5Bote2025-05-27 14:30

    I got the bushings out of the removable plate and pressed in new ones with my shop press. I was planning on pressing the new ones into the lower frame using the frame over the bushings as my contact point. Anyone see an issue with this?

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-05-28 07:26

    Pretty much, only way they are going to go in. I would taper the bushing a little bit more than when they make them because once they start, they aren’t coming back out.