Two steel hydraulic lines on my Case 580SE are very rusty, one is leaking and I need to replace or repair them both. I just finished rebuilding four leaking hydraulic cylinders and was so glad I finally had no leaks on the machine when this happened. These two lines go from the left side bottom of the oil cooler, across the front and down the right side of the machine to under the cab and are .625 OD. They have flair nuts on the rear end and at the front of the machine are attached to the oil cooler with short pieces of rubber hose with hose clamps. The rusty portion is only the first couple of feet and they are clean the rest of the way back. Is it feasible to cut off the first few feet and use longer rubber line to fix them or should I remove the whole 6'-8' of steel and replace it all? If I repair it with rubber hose what hose is recommended? The other two steel lines from the oil cooler are .500 OD and probably should be replaced as well. Either way I need to find the quality of hose to replace the 4 short connecting hoses where these four lines attach to the oil cooler. Does anyone have the factory Case part numbers for these four steel hydraulic lines for a 580SE?
That was supposed to be flare nuts not flair. I don't see a way to edit my post for spelling or errors. Proofreading for errors always seems to be after you hit send.
Serial number? I have the parts manual, but I will need more info to be able to deliver a more reliable means for you to spend a few bucks How many coolers on this machine, besides the coolant radiator?
I'll have to post the serial number later The radiator is for engine coolant only and has no other oil cooler lines. The oil cooler is full size and is mounted in front of the radiator It has four lines straight out the bottom and all four steel lines are connect with about a 5" piece of rubber line. The two on the left side of the machine are 5/8" steel and the ones on the right side of the oil cooler are 1/2" steel. The two 5/8" lines attach to the left side of the oil cooler, run across the front of the machine and then down the right side of the machine. There is just the one oil cooler. The is what the oil cooler looks like although this photo is turned sideways. The oil cooler mounts with the lines downward.
MinnPar has the Case 580 SE Parts Manual FREE https://www.minnpar.com/index.aspx Search OEM PARTS MANUALS
You could replace the entire set of lines with hydraulic hoses. You would need to be creative with the flair to NPT fittings on the hoses. The flared lines could be cut short next to the cooler fittings and then brazed to the proper hose fitting.
Thanks. But those are for the model with angled connections. Mine has the connection tubes that come straight down from the oil cooler.
I've not taken it apart yet but it appears the ends at the oil cooler are either straight cut or possibly have a slight "bulge" in them to keep the hose from slipping off while the rear end has the flare fittings. I was thinking of cutting them at a point under the machine and running the rubber hydraulic hose from the cooler to that point. I may try to get them off today or tomorrow and reassess the situation.
I did a search for OEM PARTS MANUALS and had no luck, the search came back empty. Same results searching for Case 580 SE parts manual. Do you have the link to it by any chance?
I just had this happen, when changing hydraulic oil. I blew one of the return lines under the oil cooler, when I forgot to take the cap I had put on the filter return and I started it up to turn the front wheels. The crossover steel lines do indeed have a bulge for the hose clamps. I just cut the steel line where it had split and used a longer piece of rubber hose and double clamped.
Once again the Case Corporate dummy's seem to have pooched our access to the on-line parts manuals. I found it to be impossible to access them by just going to the on-line website like I have in the past. Maybe it is just me that had problems with it. Anyway I was able to find a way to get to the parts books and am posting a link to an index of them. Notice that there is a category for the backhoes individually. It is very convenient if you know your backhoe model. Here is a LINK TO IT .