Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580se trip report

syndy ยท 2011-10-25 10:57

I just returned from North Carolina where I have my 580 sitting covered up on our farm. I had one day of good weather to remove one of the leaking hoe cylinders and try to figure out why my 3/4" tube fitting was leaking. I was working in an open field, no power, no water, no shelter and had about four hours to get the cylinder off and get it clean to put into the car, not easy out there. (A cold front with heavy rain was approaching). I put a crowfoot wrench, American made onto the nut and with a torque wrench put some power to it. The wrench (on the nut) jumped a notch and I did it again and it jumped again. Thinking at the time the wrench jumped on the nut because it was a lousy wrench or the nut was worn, I later thought it was really the threads and the nut has a crack in it. (Do these crack often?). With the cylinder now home in my shop I did a test on the wrench. I put it on one of the new caps plugging the cylinder and with the same setup gave it a turn. No slipping, no jumping so I am guessing that it is a cracked nut. Next summer I plan to go up and build a barn for the Case and have a place to do maintenance on it. In the mean time I will rebuild the cylinder here in warm Florida. My goal is to build a house, build a pond and move lots of dirt.

Replies0

No replies yet.