Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580sk forward/reverse problem

Mike Fryer ยท 2020-07-01 08:23

Greetings. When I start the machine cold it engages forward and reverse no problem. After the machine has been working for some time and is hot and I switch off for a short period then when I start up again it will not engage either forward or reverse. I if I switch off and wait for say 20 seconds and restart the machine (doing this a few times) it will eventually engage forward and reverse again and continue to operate normally until I switch off again. Once I switch off again the problem may or may not occur again and then the same procedure is needed to restore forward and reverse again. The forward/reverse lever is moving into position correctly but no drive. I have checked the clutch buttons on the gear selector and bucket lever and see nothing wrong there. Can anyone suggest what may be causing this?

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042020-07-01 08:57

    Unplug your declutch solenoid on top of the transaxle, beside the fwd/rev valve. It is probably not the problem, but it will eliminate everything electrical. You don't want to pull the transaxle and then find it's a wire.

  2. #2Mike Fryer2020-07-01 11:58

    Hi. Will give that a shot. I cant imagine it's a fault in the transaxle. Could a failing torque converter be a cause of this? Or possibly an air lock developing between the oil pump and the fwd/rev valve when it is hot and the oil is thinner?

  3. #3alrman2020-07-01 17:47

    It does sound very much like a pump problem. Be sure all the hose clamps are tight on the suction hoses coming from the transaxle to the converter housing. Take a good look at the steel tube in the suction line - I have seen them wear through by rubbing against the chassis. If all the suction side is OK, I would consider replacing the charge pump.

  4. #4melben2020-07-01 18:10

    Mike, check the big suction run from the transmission housing to the torque converter housing, I have seen those elbows severely crushed and wondered how oil could even get through, Also behind the big elbow tube at the transmission there is a suction strainer it would be a good idea to check.

  5. #5Mike Fryer2020-07-02 02:13

    Thankyou guys. I will check all of these suggestions and bring some feedback soon.

  6. #6dixon7002020-07-16 10:15

    Has the filter and oil been replaced when it should of been? I was just thinking the basics before throwing a pump at it. Make sure oil is of good quality and full, then try a new filter on the torque converter

  7. #7Mike Fryer2020-07-16 14:47

    Hi. I will check the date on the filter as I always etch the date on it when I change it and I would have done the oil simultaneously. Thankyou

  8. #8john Muthara2024-06-08 08:43

    Exact position of transaxle