Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580SL extendahoe hose need replacing. Big job?

Doug580l ยท 2021-06-12 16:17

I think that one of the hoses going to the extendahoe cylinder is leaking, either that or the cylinder. I ordered the hoses and a seal kit so hopefully I'll have everything I need to fix the leak. I have a repair manual and it kinda makes sense to me on how to remove it. Any tips would be appreciated. Should I be looking for anything else while I have it off? Also, when I bought the machine it didn't have a pin to lock the extendahoe. After a while I used a piece of rebar and I have a pin in it now. I don't always use it (cuz I'm lazy and it's full of grease) and was wondering if that could of caused the leak. Thanks, Doug

Replies11
  1. #1Billrog2021-06-12 21:43

    I did this so I could use 2 hands on the other wrench. Sorry if they get out of order loading the pics is challenging me.

  2. #2Billrog2021-06-12 21:59

    there going to be hooked back up in line with the side they are on. This is how the hoses were when i bought the machine if you want them to last adjust them until they line up side by side . On ones I've done in the past they lasted for years. Hope this is helpful I've done 3 now 2 took me 4.5 hrs that included going to town and having the hoses made second one 6 hrs. do to arthritis making me weak. I have more pics. if they'll help.

  3. #3stinky642021-06-13 16:50

    Nice tutorial Billrog, that whole picture tells a thousand words thing gets doubled when ripping big heavy stuff apart...

  4. #4Doug580l2021-06-13 22:10

    Wow, thanks for the info Billrog! This makes it seem much more doable. The service manual has no pictures for this procedure. Not sure when I will do the work. The hoses should be delivered in a couple days but since the backhoe is still usable I will probably wait until I have some help before replacing them. Don't think I want to do this alone if I can help it. Thanks again, Doug

  5. #5emmett5182021-06-14 11:03

    I hope that tree helper gets union wages, and a coffee break!

  6. #6Outdoort2021-06-16 10:44

    Get a seal kit and replace that on the cylinder while ur in there. Just finished this whole job up for myself yesterday

  7. #7Doug580l2021-06-16 12:08

    Thanks, I did order a seal kit along with the hoses. Still kinda nervous about trying to do it myself. What did you use to support the dipper extension? I do have an engine hoist that I could use.

  8. #8Billrog2021-06-16 21:06

    The outside hung from the tree the inside stays on the hoe.

  9. #9RedRanger062021-06-26 03:05

    I'm going to be doing this sooner or later on a 580K. Thanks for the pictures, hope mine is similar enough. I'll come back when I am ready and study them more before trying the job.

  10. #10SlatcoAu2021-06-29 01:54

    Haha so awesome Billrog. I did the exact same tree trick when I changed mine. Ended up being just a o-ring on one of the fittings but when you have gone that deep change it all!

  11. #11mbavers2021-07-11 18:15

    When I did my SK a couple of years ago I generally followed Billrog's advice. I thought it might be a little work removing and replacing dipper at and angle, so I used the bed of my dump truck (tailgate removed). Got it level and blocked with timber. Easy driving off, but a little slower driving back on in reverse with foot on brake and body twisted. Rebuilt on picnic table.