Hi, I'm new to this site. I have a Case 580 superK with a cracked boom. I found a replacement boom from a Case 580K. Will it fit on my machine? Any help would be great. Thanks
I cannot tell you if they are interchangeable. But you say it is cracked. Have you considered welding it ? It can be done from what I have read in earlier posts. Ando says it can be in this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
It is my belief that you need to be more concerned about date of manufacture I believe the super K was different mostly in the turbocharger. SK tractors seemed to get more options. There was series I II and III in this there may be difference. My parts book for the 580K offers two booms. It appears one was original, the other, a replacement. I presume some change was made. Most of these get broken by allowing the laminated rubber cushion at the swing tower to get smashed out, then, inexperienced, or crude operators shock them latching them. I swing mine to the side, then use the stabilizer to push on the back of the bucket and bring it up. Keep your bumper in functional condition. These booms are of Ductile Iron. Welding them is prone to failure.
Thanks but I already looked into getting it welded from a welding shop that repairs heavy equipment. They told me that there is no guarantee on the weld because the boom is made from ductile steel; actually, they are the ones that advised me that it is much cheaper to look for a used replacement boom rather than pay the labour to get the boom welded.
Thank you, the place where I am purchasing the used boom says that we have to swap boom cylinders then it should be interchangeable; he seems to think that the issue is with the boom cylinders. But, I will look into it further. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
Check serial no. of machine and part no. of cylinder. Also go online to Case online parts catalog and check it out.