I have a Case 586E and most of the wear plates are gone. Does anyone know what they were made of? The parts manual calls them brass, but when looking at them on-line they are gray in color. The attached picture is not mine it was pulled of the internet. They range in size from 2" x 6" and 2" x 10" with a thickness of 1/8" or 3/16" depending on location. Case wants $130.00 to $170.00 each and I need 26 of them and some are not available (there are 7 different sizes/part numbers), so I won't be doing that. Any opinions on what would work best, yellow brass, silicon bronze, aluminum bronze? I planned on mig brazing them in. Since the entire mast will have to be disassembled to braze the wear strips in and I need the forklift on a job, I was thinking about some type of plastic to get me by until I can tear the mast down. I was looking at UHMW polyethylene or Delrin, but the only issue there is finding a glue or adhesive that would bond the plastic to the steel channels. For what it is worth, on this job, the largest pieces I'm lifting are ~ 1400 lb 50' rafters 20' high, so the slope that's in it now is to much at that height. Does anybody have any experience with this or ideas on how to go about this? Thank you.
" Brass" could be any of a hundred alloys. Ampco 18 is what i would suspect was used or similar wearing material. The ones in the pix have holes in them, were they bolted on ?
Thanks, I'll look into the Ampco 18. The holes are for a rosette weld/brazing.
I found some NOS wear plates, so I'm going to remove the mast to replace them. Does anyone have an idea what the mast weighs? It's a 21.5' 3-stage. Trying to figure out what I need to handle it when I remove the trunnion bar supports. I have the service manual and it shows a large gantry crane being used, but doesn't say anything about the capacity.
Well, I took some measurements and calculated it. FWIW, the three frames with cross supports should be around 1570 lbs. and with the chains and sheaves and misc., 1800 lbs should be about right. This is with the carriage removed.