Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590 Super N charging problem

Dave Z ยท 2019-04-15 21:23

I have a 2011 Case 590 Super N that's not charging, anybody have a wiring diagram for it by chance ? It has a 120A Iskra alternator on it that has what appears to me to be an external voltage regulator on it. It has a 3 wire plug connected to it that has a 12V hot (to the center terminal of the plug) with the key turned on ignition. The 2 end terminals have neither power or ground. The heavy wire (high current charging) has battery voltage to it and the alternator case is grounded as it should be. I'm guessing its a bad alternator but I hate to guess till I ruled out a wiring issue to what I'm thinking is a external voltageregulator. I included 3 pics - Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

Replies6
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-04-16 20:10

    Usually if you are only reading battery voltage at output wire it means that the alt. is bad.

  2. #2Dave Z2019-04-16 20:41

    yeah I just want to be sure before I use the dartboard approach of diagnostics, don't wanna spend $ on a replacement alternator unless I know its bad.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-04-16 21:14

    Have it tested by a competent re-builder. They usually do it for free.

  4. #4Dave Z2019-04-17 09:05

    Figured it out, center wire on regulator plug supply's voltage to turn regulator on or "excite" alternator, 2 outer wires on plug feed current to tach and hourmeter.

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-04-17 09:12

    Was something wrong with them ? Still have charging problems ?

  6. #6Dave Z2019-04-17 12:41

    No wiring was good, bad alternator, ordered and should have it tomorrow