Hey I just bought our first backhoe an old 1994 Case 590 SK 4x4 and it runs great but I'm getting a loud noise coming from the transmission but only in 3rd and 4th gear when I'm in 1st and 2nd its smooth has plenty of power but soon as you shift to 3rd and get up to speed it makes a grinding howling sound also dose it with the outriggers out with the wheels off the air in drive forward and reverse.I checked the fluid its clean a little overfilled about 1 inch over from the full line. Any one know what this might be? It has 7500 hours on it
Are you sure it's not the rear end the noise comes from ?
Well I guess it could be but I can't get it to do it at all in the lower 2 gears only 3rd and 4th
It could still be the rear end. If your getting a bearing failure it will make more noise the faster you go (higher gears). You also have a 4x4.....the noise can transfer through the drive system also. I would remove the drivelines with it up in the air and run to start troubleshooting.
I would check the outer axle bearings for side play first. Check the pinion bearing also. Most failures I have seen are there usually.
Ok thanks. also the noise is heard when your on the road In a higher gear and you drive over a bump when the backhoe starts rocking then its really noticeable
Check your planetary gear oil in rear axle it's separate from your differential oil.
Where do you check that one. The only dipstick I could find was under the seat
Should be center of the back wheel park with the 2 allan head bolts parallel to the ground and pull one out should be some oil real close to the top of the hole.
Ok thanks I will check it. What oil dose it take 75w90?
@Nick Abdallah If your machine is an early 590 - I don't think you will have those planetary hubs on your rear hubs. (It will have the phase 3 580sk transaxle.) The hubs will only be on the front axle if 4WD. Re- your noise - best place to start is by draining the oil & removing the transmission suction screen. If there is anything serious happening you will likely find some indication there. (ie bearings, thrust washers ... teeth)
I was thinking this was a 590SL and not a 580SK. I would first do what alrman said and change oil and check suction screen. Also check for any play in axle shafts.
Attached is a picture of the hub the guy I bought it from told me it's a 1994 590sK but it just has 590 Turbo on the side of it the serial number is JJG0208306
Where did you find the serial number? The hub looks like the hub on a 580SK. Where is the four speed shifter, in the floor or in the right hand console?
the shifter is on the right hand console just a short one I got the serial number from in the cab when you open the left door
OK cool so it has the large transmission in it. You might have a synchronizer issue but I'd check for play in rear axles, also does the noise quit when you apply brakes on either side one at a time? Again check oil level and type it should be a good hydraulic type oil.
It's hard to get it to make that noise with the wheels off the ground it's gets worst the faster you go and when the backhoe hits a bump and bounces but I cannot hear it in 1st or 2nd. The fluid in the transmission looks clean and just above the full line. Are those hubs the ones that have separate oil to the planatary gears ?
There is only one oil level to worry about, checked by the dipstick, as you have already done. Does the machine have standard lug tyres fitted to it? These can become very noisy at high speeds, the lugs can distort creating transmission type noises. The lugs can look very uneven when this happens - can you post a close up pic of your rear tyres? The only way you can check for sure is by swapping the rear wheels off another machine. To check for play at the rear axles, as @Coy Lancaster has mentioned, raise the rear wheels off the ground, switch off the engine, & by hand, push against the rear wheels - A perfect set of bearings with preload will have zero movement. Often there is some movement there. obviously, the lesser amount you have the better condition the bearings will be.
That's the best picture I have when I lift the rear wheels off the ground I can't feel any play in them
No those have the inboard planetary gears
That picture only really shows that you have lug tyres, & doesn't really shed any light on their condition. Can you take a couple closer pics of the lugs & post them? The fact that the axles have no movement is good, but doesn't help you with your noise issue. Those transmissions are a little noisy, but without actually hearing it, we on the internet cannot really tell if what you are hearing is normal or not. If you wanted to check the suction screen, (#15) in the pic below. The drain plug (#16) should be - 8mm allen hex key required - (from memory) It will hold about 55lts of oil so be prepared. When you remove the screen, put a magnet up inside the tube in which it is fitted into & also under the tube around the floor of the transmission housing.
That is the cab or canopy serial number, the machine VIN is on the frame above where you step up to get to the seat.