My old 621 has always needed to run a while to get the transmission oil warm enough to move well. Lately though it takes even longer, doesnt move as well, and when it is warm doesnt push well at all. I decided I would change the tranny oil and filter. I have only had this loader a couple of years. I have no idea when the oil was changed last if ever. Buddy of mine thinks the filter is plugged and a new filter might do the job by itself. Is this a nightmare to do? It looks like I can get at the filter by removing a shield under the cab on the right hand side. Can anyone explain to me what kind of transmission this is and how they work? I'm new to end loaders. Thanks guys.
Do you guys recommend a tranny heater like this - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339107_200339107 Should a guy just leave it plugged in 24/7 in winter? I use my loader twice a day to feed cattle.
Hey gostate, welcome to HEF! I'm no expert in cold weather operations, but if the drive is getting worse or is taking longer to get moving, I would say you have a problem that needs attention. Early 621's had different transmissions to later ones - a machine serial number is needed for more precise advice. Either way, an inspection of oil & filters & removal of suction screen may shed some light on your problem. If you are not sure on servicing the transmission - you will probably need some professional help......
arlman - the serial nimber is 0021741 which i believe is a later model 621. I took the side tin off tonight and the filter looks easy enough to replace. the manual says to remove and clean the breather right next to the filter on top of the transmission but I couldn't locate it. How do you tell if the transmission is actually going bad? For what its worth last week I added a quart of lucas oil to it and could tell a difference right away, though it only lasted a couple days.
According to your PIN you have a ZF transmission - the pipe in the picture shows the screen, it has not got a very fine screen on it, not worth pulling it out. By draining the oil & checking the filter you will see if anything major is wrong - good idea to run a magnet inside the drainplug hole #18, & see what you find........ happy fishin! P.S. Lucas oil treatment - not a good thing for powershift trannys - was it a special type?
Arlman thanks for the advice. The Lucas I used was the ordinary kind. How is it harmful to powershifts? I've have good luck with it in other machines, though I don't recall any of them being a power shift tranny, all automatics. Looking under the machine tonight, I thought the drain bung was on the front side, opposite from your diagram. To be honest, I didn't check the back side where your diagram says it should be. Have to check that in the morning. By the way, is there a website where you found that diagram? Thanks.
The pic comes from casece website - click on your region & then look for search for parts or online catalogue , type in machine model & parts pics as per parts books are found. Re: Lucas - no real evidence or experience, just an opinion I have. Thought it would affect clutch plate linings & how much 'grip' they have. - usually when I find a problem, it gets fixed with new parts, don't usually use additives. Re: ZF transmission - Be sure about the configeration of the pic & what yours actually looks like. Your machine is very close to the change over (about 40 builds) & it might not be correct. (know of a recent parts problem with similar PIN number differences re a differential purchase )