Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 650k series 3 parking brake engages randomly.

JVRatc2 · 2025-06-08 22:55

My 2008 case 650k series 3 has a parking brake issue. It engages randomly while working the machine, happens out of nowhere. The machine still tries to move but is in a bind. I can kill the machine, turn off the battery switch and go back to work for about 5 minutes and it does it again. Anyone ever experience this?

Replies7
  1. #1swampman2025-06-10 10:12

    Not familiar with the newer machines, but I had a similar issue with my 850E. Traced it down to the alternator. Apparently the park brake requires +/-24v to release, and when the alternator is not capable of supplying that voltage, the brake is applied. Everything else was working perfectly at the time, so it must have been just slightly under 24v. Replaced the alternator and everything was right again. Might be a good place to start your search.

  2. #2JVRatc22025-06-10 14:35

    Swampman! Thank you, that’s good information. I’ll definitely look at that.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2025-06-11 22:01

    Check the safety switches on gate arms. Also check the park brake relay.

  4. #4JVRatc22025-06-12 09:57

    Thanks Coy, I'll def check those also. I should add that the dozer had to be jump started every time I used it. Even if I used it for several hours and shut it down for 2 minutes it would not start back without a jump start. Put a new NAPA 950 CA battery and tested the alternator. Alternator does not charge unless I jumper a hot wire and touch the "field" terminal. Got to dig through the schematic and see which wire acts as the "wake up" wire to the alternator. If I put a volt meter on the new battery I get 12.5 ish volts, start the machine I get 12.5 ish volts, jumper a hot to the field terminal and I get 13.8 ish volts. Alternator apparently has not been working. Also, Dozer will move now, I ran it for about 10 minutes and no issue so far. Too wet to put it through the paces right now.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2025-06-12 10:11

    If you have an alternator shop close I’d remove alternator and have it tested. They can also rebuild it if needed.

  6. #6JVRatc22025-06-12 10:15

    I did just look up a local guy that can rebuild it. Crawler Supply(Case Store) has nothing in stock, all back ordered.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2025-06-12 11:29

    Of course it’s back ordered, plus it’d cost triple from them.