I'm looking for an air compressor and air brake chamber for the Case 680c Construction King back-hoe I'm reconditioning ( either Case or aftermarket ) and also need a supplier of Case or aftermarket hoses to the Hydraulic Pump under it . Any "heads up" on this stuff for a machine about 45 years old would help . It's been siting for about 10 years and I finally got it running . Ordered the new Hydraulic Pump I found for it this morning .Need "0" rings for the pump as well . Thank you in advance . --- Mac McGrail in Virginia
Welcome to HEF ! You can buy the brake chambers at any NAPA store. Take your old one with you. The new one will not look like yours but will be a perfect fit / replacement. Your air compressor will be very hard to find either new or rebuilt. Later 680's (E) and later have water cooled compressors and are more available. You may or may not be able to retrofit one to your 680C. Any hydraulicshop can make the hoses you need. Just stay away from any Chinese hoses. They are garbage. Parker and aeroquipt are my favorites. My go-to guy for parts is Dale Wiess. go here for his website. http://e-backhoeparts.com/
Thank you --- "Tinkerer" I'm new at working a computer for this stuff and I appreciate the help/advise . Mac McGrail
I'm curious why you need a replacement air compressor. Lots of engine oil in the air lines and tank ? If it is simply hard to get or maintain 125 psi. in the system it is prolly leaking hoses and fittings. But, the brake chamber bladders are usually the first thing to look at. WARNING !!! CAUTION !!! Do not take a brake chamber apart. There is a big spring in them that will kill you when it is released, if you don't have it in a cage designed to be used when servicing them. Besides you can buy a new one cheaper than a professional can rebuild them.
Hello "Tinkerer" . I am not doing the work myself . I'm just the "Go-ffer" for the partner of mine that is doing the actual work . He tells me what he needs and I try to locate it and get it for him and lend a hand where he needs one . I immediately copied your note to me directly to him in case he didn't know about the spring inside the "brake chamber " being deadly . He has told me to find at least one ( 1 ) brake chamber all ready for him . I will have him give me the old one when he takes it off and I will take it with me when I go to "NAPA" as you suggested to get a replacement one . He wants me to pick up an "air governor" also but I haven't figured out where to get that yet . Any ideas on that would also be appreciated as well , Sir . Many thanks from an amateur that is trying to learn at 78 years old . Never a dull moment in life is there ? My best to you , Sir , Mac McGrail
The brake chamber you need is commonly referred to as a 24 24. Many thousands of them are in use in the trucking industry. Should be about $75.00. The Bendix air governor is also a commonly available part. Should be about $20.00. Most any auto parts store should have both of them in stock. Napa for sure, but not always the cheapest. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWRH284358 https://www.amazon.com/AIR-BRAKE-CHAMBER-24/dp/B00IVQO3C6 From one 78 year old to another !
Theredoubt1942, If napa is a no go, any truck parts shop will simply match up the brake cans. You may need to cut the rods with a hacksaw (measuring from the current cans), but it isnt a big deal. The regulator, as tinkerer suggested, is a standard part in the trucking industry. You may need to take out or move some plugs but these are multi fit pieces...all easy stuff. As previously stated, do not attempt to dissemble...bottom line is they are cheap enough that even if it were not dangerous it prolly wouldn't be worth while...You will most likely have to remove the clevis from the end of the rod to transfer over, although I have seen some of the chambers come with new. There should also be a lock nut behind the clevis to keep it from turning.
Weren't we supposed to quit doing this kind of stuff some years ago ?? When I was coming up through my late 20's and 30's I distinctly remember telling every body that would listen --- I'm gonna retire when I'm 50 !! I'm an electrician that works on street light poles out of a bucket truck year round , still . I got the Back-Hoe about 8 or 10 years ago ( don't remember which ) from a friend that was in need financially who I helped out and was terminally ill at the time and he insisted that I take it because he said his kids would never pay me back . I didn't care if I got the money back but he insisted . Now I found an actual use for one and it will save me a considerable amount of money if I get it going . Ain't life great !! Hey --- we are just trying to finish up with some dignity ! My best to you , Mac McGrail
Should be a tag on your compressor. Make model etc. I normally buy them from an indepent heavy truck and trailer parts company. They sell Bepco out of NC. It would likely have to be ordered. If it is a real oddball they may have to rebuild yours. I like to connect my Chetta tire blast tank to the compressor outlet. That makes it an air tank with a gauge. Remove the air governor and run the engine. Then the compressor is good or bad.
Thank you "Tenwheeler" . I am very appreciative of this continued information that I'm getting from you and all the guy's . My partner is as well . The ideas we are getting makes some thing I clearly don't know much about --- much easier . Have a great day . You all are making mine a whole lot better . Mac McGrail
I had this bookmarked in my laptop. Everything you will need to know about the air governor. http://beamalarm.com/Documents/haldex_d2_governor_service_data.html
Mr. Tinkerer , Sir , You , Sir , are certainly more than a "Tinkerer" and an enormous help .Your actions speak volumes about the kind of very decent person you must be . I could not be more pleased to have made your acquaintance and only wish I could do more than just say thank you . If you are ever out this way I would hope to be able to meet you and thank you personally . I live back in the mountains of Virginia about 80 miles west of Washington , D.C. about 8 miles south of the small city of "Front Royal" . I hope that I may be able to avail myself of your knowledge again as time goes along . In the mean time --- my very best to you and yours , Sir . Mac McGrail