Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680e

davidd ยท 2009-04-05 10:09

Greetings All, I have been looking at several machines. I also ran across a case 680e. It seems it is a rare one. Anybody know about this one. It is sorta ragged ( definately not driven by a little old lady to church) but it appears to be a big powerful machine. Any thoughs on this machine? Thanks, Davidd

Replies7
  1. #1gggraham2009-04-06 22:36

    The we had with this machine is that it has the 336BD in it. Around here we called them 336 grenades. Basically a 4 cyl version of the 504 but we always had more trouble with them like the balancers, cranks, and camshafts. The torque converters have been known to crack. That's about it as far as I have dealt with them, we only had a few around here.

  2. #2davidd2009-04-07 11:38

    Thanks, GGG I thought it might be an oversize version of the 580e. Seems it is not. I talked with the owner (phone) and he just bought it at auction for $5K and already had to replace the radiator. and it is starving for fuel???. I suspect injector pump or a clogged line. But if the rad. was bad then most likely it was run hot recently. Should I pass on this machine even for 5 or 6 thousand?? Davidd.

  3. #3insleyboy2009-04-07 20:04

    How old is this 680 Davidd? Older model 680's were definatly workhorses! The brakes were an issue as were the 580's of the late 70's C models. The radiator being new may be a sign of trouble ahead.

  4. #4davidd2009-04-07 20:17

    I am not much at telling age of machines to a point. Just looking I would say 20 years. I have always been leary of any car truck tractor that has a new radiator. Most likely it was run hot due to a bad rad. It is so wet here that at present he will not move the machine due to wet ground. It is close in his yard. Maybe at the end of the week Davidd.

  5. #5insleyboy2009-04-07 20:22

    When you get the chance, run that 680 for half an hour or so. I mean run it good. Pull a stump....whatever you can do to test the engine, but those older 680's you will see they had power the 580's could not come close to! Much like the 590's of today.

  6. #6Cat4202009-04-07 21:25

    When I was researching backhoes, I noticed a lot of 680 E and H models that had coolant in the oil. I'm not qualified to state if it was a common problem or not, but it's something to check into.

  7. #7gggraham2009-04-08 00:02

    Personally I'd shy away from anything with the 336 in it. I'd take a 580E over the 680E. If you find a 680K it's not as bad because it has the 6T-590 CDC engine in it.