might be a good deal close buy had a guy text me he wanted to sell his backhoe all i know its a case 680e Will be use to lift eco blocks move and lift things around the farm and digging Any know issues with these ? What areas to check for on this case ? What would you be wiling to pay for one of these in working order?
The last year they were made was 1978. Working condition is a vague description of any machine. Really loose pins and bushings in the loader or backhoe would greatly diminish the value. So will worn out tires and an engine with a lot of blow-by also a shuttle shift or 4 speed transmission that needs repair. A decent one near me sold for $7000.00. I was interested in buying it until I found that the backhoe boom had been cracked and welded. There are no known flaws or frequent part failures in them that I am aware of. It does have air brakes that could add some expense to it if it needs an air compressor or brake chambers.
I had two G models, and the one I bought new had to have the boom welded, and the one I bought used had already had the boom welded, and neither of them were a problem after that. Both cracked where the pin for the top of the boom cylinders passes through. That's a frequent failure that I'm aware of, but not a big problem if handled well. The top pin on the swing tower is tapered where it fits to the machine, and would be a difficult repair if it hasn't been looked after. That's one thing I'd specifically look at. The G and E are pretty similar, and I loved mine.
Thanks Digger, I didn't know how common that those cracked booms were. I passed up that E model I was interested in because my model CK was in a lot better condition. Other than the twin boom cylinders and 336 cubic inch engine, it was the same basic TLB. The cabs, dashboard panel and controls were other differences.
Ok thanks. I will be going to check it out soon the guy said it has a air leak. So hoping it just a hose or some thing easy
I don't think they could hold air more than 10 minutes when they were new, LOL. My guesses would go as follows: brake chamber, tredle If you end up with it, handle the drivetrain with kid gloves. The transmission and rear differential are not nearly big enough for the machine. My dad had one for over 8000 hrs, replaced the trans and differential at least every other year, but that was pushing closed every foot of 7' deep trench that he would dig.
I broke 2nd gear in one of the 4-speed transmissions, but never had a problem with the shuttle or differential on either of them. I replaced at least one in-dash parking brake valve, (bought at a truck parts store, not the Case dealer), and the second one needed new treadle valves when I got rid of it, but I was told they weren't hard to come by either. Something else I replaced more than a couple of was the bolts that hold the rear axle to the frame.
This is the edit of my original post. I got sidetracked, forgot to proofread. Dad never had trouble with the shuttle or T/C, but everything else was too light. Digging 7' deep water trench probably didn't help, but the hydraulic cooling was horribly under-designed as well. Oh, one other thing. The cast elbows on all the cylinders were prone to cracking as well. Eventually, every single cylinder had the rod end rebuilt to have a port with a steel 90 threaded into it.
Ok thanks it seems to be In good shape other then a lot of the seals and packing are leaking. No cracks and little rust comes with 2 buckets and 50 percent tires. 6k 2nd gear is said to some things pop out while going down a hill didn’t happen when I drove it Back tire are filled as it’s 2wheel drive As long a it can lift eco blocks and do a little digging I’ll be happy then I might try putting seals in it
Do you happen to know if it is the shuttle or 4 speed transmission that pops out of gear when going down a hill ? If it isn't the shift linkage causing it, you may be looking at some serious repairs. My 680C did the same thing occasionally. It got worse as I put more hours on it. I finally had to fix it. Like Digger said about the shuttle and differential, they are tough as nails. Just don't use the gearshift lever for a brake. Stop the machine when changing directions of travel.
im not sure was told it was 2nd gear in transmission I have a heavy eq mechanic going to look at it next week to see if it worth it . cause i did see alot of leaking seals If second gear goes out it should still be useable in the others ? I need it for 2 projects if it last that long then im good then i will decide if i should fix it up and buy a mini excavator or hopefuly sell it for same price and buy newr next year.
There are two situations that I know of that will cause 2nd gear to pop out of gear. Worn out teeth on the gears and also there is a snap-ring on the main-shaft that can get out of its groove. I could not use 2nd gear with any load on it all.
Not very well, I'm afraid. First gear is only good for hard pushing, heavy work, and third is too fast for pretty much any work except driving around the site. Also, you would get dam sick of shifting between 1st and 3rd all day.
The four speed in my bit older 680 is the same or very similar to Dodge D350 of that period. Just no reverse gears. I repaired mine with parts from a transmission builder-parts supplier. Cost was not that bad.
ok thank you guys its the only one close in the range and price thats close to what i have to spend im going to take a gamble and hope it pays off. as long a the mechanic says to give it a shot. im a ok mechanic so i will be doing seals as they are cheap it just time which for now i have a little more of then money
I can recommend a vendor for high quality aftermarket parts for that transmission. It is where I purchased everything but the main-shaft and counter shaft for my Case 4 speed. I didn't need the shafts mine were like new. I did a lot of price comparisons before I made the buy. Here is a link to the website ----> http://www.joseph.com/
Ok ill save th links
I do not have any other equipment to compare of but the Case 680g I have is plain and simple, though it is a big backhoe and I would think the cost of servicing and maintenance is fraction higher compared to smaller models. Also know how and troubleshooting is somewhat limited because of apparent lack of popularity of those models, luckily there are some really experienced members in here who know what they talking about, a la Tinkerer and [URL='HeavyEquipmentForums [/URL]
Thanks yea I get delivery of it in a week. And I will start going though it fixing leaks air and hydraulics. Air leaks first. Then I might have to replace a few cylinders seals if the seals don’t reseat. I’m hoping they do as it’s been sitting for a few years. I figure with the help from the smart people on here and the fact that it is a older model with not as many new Features I should be able to fix almost anything that comes up with it.
If you do remove the 4 speed transmission pay particular attention and keep track of which holes the 4 bolts came out of. They are different lengths by by small amount. If you reinstall a longer bolt in the wrong hole it will bottom out on the adapter plate and you will strip the threads before the bolt actually has the transmission case tight to the plate. If you need to repair the air brake chambers for any reason stay away from Case /CNH dealers ! You can replace them with readily available ones from about anywhere. They are a universal part that trucks use. I paid $75.00 each for mine. You cannot have one rebuilt for that.
Good luck with your purchase. Anxious to follow your progress.
X2 !
Run away as fast as u can .
Lol to late I own it now slowly greaseing it up and changing the fuilds . Might have to change a few seals it leaks every but engine and rear end oil
Congrats!!!! Post some pics when you get a chance. I've been working on my new old hoe for over a month. Because of weather I've had plenty of shop time. So far it's been pretty cheap to fix. We'll see when the weather clears. It's always a gamble.
Yea it’s always a gamble that is for sure after I got it home I was stressing cause I thought I would have to dump a bunch of money into it to get it going. But after moving it around to grease it and fix’s the air leaks. I should be getting my 24/24 brake cans tomorrow. I think I’ll be able to use it. As long as I keep checking all the fuilds some of seals leak while sitting but stop with a load on them. The Stabilizer cylinders make huge puddles on the ground while sitting in the upright position but the Backhoe been held up by them for 48 hours and not a drop has come out. Yea I’ll have to figure out how to post pics need to get a new hosting account.
I came very close to owning a 580E. They are a very different machine from the 580K. They are, I believe European made, Italian, I think. The 580K is a machine with lots of ductile iron parts that can't be welded. I believe the E had fewer ductile parts. I believe they use the ultra common Cummins 3900 CC four cylinder. The one in my 580K Case claims is built by Case, but is identical to the Cummins in my Dresser bulldozer. I've had torque converter problems (slipping when hot) in two 580K tractors. I have two friends who one at a time have owned the same 580E since new. They've done recommended maintenance, but had no problems. I think some E series have detachable backhoes, study the mounting hardware carefully.`
I ordered 24/24 brake cans and they fit and fixed the brakes issues . Now just trying to find a blue print or spec sheet so I can get sizes for the bushing and pins and other parts to see if I can Interchange with other parts to replace worn out ones
Everything you need fro bushing and pins is in the Case online parts book. Here is a screen shot of one of the many pages for your 680E. Notice I checked a box next to a bushing. Now look at the top of the page and you will see the dimensions of it. Do a google search and you see that bushing was used in many different Case machines and are available . Ebay is a good place to buy pins and bushings. here is link to the page. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...=EN¤cy=#epc::mr59183ar974455bi3084540-3
For anyone who isn't aware, that picture I posted can be instantly enlarged. Put your mouse curser on the image and left click once with your computer mouse. Those dimensions at the top of the image are very easy to read then.
Thank you that helps a lot . I just pressure washed the backhoe last night will be starting to work on it some more this weekend
ive tracked down the parts and just cleaned out the hydraulic tank and installed a new filter which is in the tank very annoying design. side note if you ever drain the hyd tank on these backhoe it will dump oil and make a mess. i put in a 3/4 90 elbow and 2 inch of 3/4 pipe and a 3/4 valve that the stock threaded plug will fit in the end to seal it. its just flush to the inside of the engine compartment so if i ever do a flush it should be super easy . also change oil and fuel filters new diesel and oil in the backhoe. rebuilding a few hyd cylinders now.
Did the same thing recently by cleaning the tank and replaced the filter, also changed the rubber seal of the tank access lid, some connecting hoses and checked the magnet sitting in the bottom to make sure there was not too many metal particles attached. Apparently there are two plugs on the lower side of the backhoe engine compartment as well to flush the system if necessary.
Yea I wish I changed the seal before I put it back together. I put RTV on the cover pushed the seal in and let it dry for a hour and two then reinstalled it.
Hook a shop vac up to a suck bucket and you will barely lose a drop of hyd. oil ! What ! You don't know what a suck bucket is ?? Read this ---> HeavyEquipmentForums