Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680K No Start

BlackBear1 · 2021-11-08 09:45

Background: This machine has always started very easily. I jumped in one day and started it and then accidently hit the bucket control which stalled it out. Immediately tried to restart with no luck and since then have been unable to get it started. I have changed fuel filters and am getting fuel at the injection pump and have bled to there however it does not seem like fuel is getting past the pump. My next thought is the fuel shutoff solenoid...thoughts on other things to check? If it is the solenoid...how do you get it off as it is pinned between the block and the backside of the injection pump with the injection pump mount bracket right in the way. Appreciate any thoughts you all may have.

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-11-08 11:18

    Welcome to HEF, Blackbear ! How much fuel is getting to the IP ? Is the lift pump putting out a good stream of fuel ? Have you cleaned the strainer in the fuel tank ? Is there power to the IP switch when the key is on ? Can you hear the switch click when you turn the key on and off ? If all that is ok then you can be suspicious of the IP switch (solenoid) being defective.

  2. #2Vetech632021-11-08 11:47

    Does this have that pain in the ass external 3 wire solenoid? If so have you checked the fuses?

  3. #3Delmer2021-11-08 12:05

    How about a picture of the injection pump to clear up some possible confusion?

  4. #4BlackBear12021-11-08 12:27

    Some likely helpful info, this has the Cummins 6-590 engine. Thanks @Tinkerer . I have a good amount of fuel at the IP and both the bleeder by the lift pump and on the IP have fuel flow when open. I have not cleaned the strainer or confirmed if I can hear it clicking but I will check that. I don't think so @Ventech63 but here is a picture of the pump.

  5. #5Vetech632021-11-08 12:29

    Take a pic of the shutoff solenoid. I don't see it in that pic

  6. #6BlackBear12021-11-08 12:38

    I believe its next to the block with the red showing. Only 1 wire was plugged in which I removed in this picture.

  7. #7Vetech632021-11-08 12:43

    Have you checked for electrical power at that wire with the ignition on?

  8. #8BlackBear12021-11-08 12:56

    I have not yet confirmed power or checked for a click yet but I will do so next and update back.

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-11-08 13:23

    Here is a good view of the solenoid (#13) position.

  10. #10Vetech632021-11-09 07:59

    The easiest way to tell if you are working alone is to use a jumper wire. Connect one end of the wire to the tab on the solenoid, and clip the other end to the positive cable on the starter. You should here it click every time you touch it with a power feed. If you here it, check for power at that wire when the ignition key is in the run position. If you have no power there, check the fuse panel first. Once you have power, leave the solenoid hot and then try to re-bleed your system at the injectors.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2021-11-10 05:53

    The solenoid is the place to start.. I like the HOT WIRE method myself.. u bypass all the fuses, key switch and push buttons.. Hold the throttle wide open when bleeding.. If it comes down to it, the solenoid is removed w a socket or a wrench from the bottom.. 15/16”.. Good luck..

  12. #12Willie B2021-11-10 08:24

    My 580K had the solenoid you discuss. Wire kept falling off the terminal. Eventually found a new solenoid with screw terminal, cured the problem. Other end of that wire was a problem also. Tractor had been hot wired so many times the terminal on the ignition switch was worn.

  13. #13BlackBear12021-11-16 13:46

    I tested the solenoid which was good, had power from the wire to the solenoid but ultimately the connection was bad. I replaced the end, reconnected it, and could then hear the solenoid click. Then just a quick bleed and it is now running. Thank you all for the info, suggestions, & comments!