Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 688??

coondog13 ยท 2018-11-19 11:03

sorry for all the questions i just cant find much on these. anyone have one and get parts? was told this one was made in usa but i cant find much info thought they was all made in france. was going to go look at it but just worried bout finding parts other than motor parts. sorry for all the questions but thank yall again for all the knowledge! https://nashville.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1994-case-688-excavator-new/6749496116.html

Replies14
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-11-19 22:45

    I used to work on these pieces of crap I'd stay away from them. They were made in France by Poclain Ind. Case got in bed with them in the 80's I think but anyway they needed a new excavator so they used these. They were good for about the first 1000 hrs but after that it was one problem after another. Parts are getting hard to find and not many people know anything about them. I am trying to forget all I knew lol. I hope I helped you a bit anyway.

  2. #2Shimmy12018-11-19 23:45

    That would fit right into "favorite phrases", lol.

  3. #3coondog132018-11-20 18:11

    Is the 880 a USA case or poclain too?

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2018-11-21 21:37

    880 is USA Drott machines

  5. #5Shimmy12018-11-21 21:44

    I put several thousand hours on a 880B back in the mid-90s. Never was I happier then when we were able to upgrade to a 1080B.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-11-21 21:46

    The 1080B was a good machine.

  7. #7245dlc2018-11-21 21:47

    Friend of mine has a 125B he said its a strong machine he had some minor troubles when he first bought but resolved them not long after.

  8. #8Shimmy12018-11-21 22:09

    We put close to 8000 hours on the one we had. Had to replace the rotec not long after we got it, the grease line had broken and they never fixed it, nor did they ever replace the can of open gear spray. Had a few other issues, but all of them were due to lack of maintenance. For anybody who's wondering, a few secrets were as follows: 1. Always be parallel to the tracks when leveling. 2. Never change track speed while moving. 3. Always remember to switch the drive brake off before trying to move. 4. Four pieces of 3/4" square keystock welded in strategic places around the swing drive case prevents the bolts from breaking. My favorite job with it was truck loading on a bench. With a 2.5 yard bucket, I could load a tandem in less than a minute.

  9. #9coondog132018-11-23 20:54

    Well one I've found kinda close isn't a b just an old 880. Were they any count or problems too? All I know is I think it's got the 336 motor and he says no leaks and starts up good doesn't need any ether. UC looks decent from picture. Asking price is 12

  10. #10245dlc2018-11-23 21:13

    I think the 880's were the older technology Drott machines. Does it have a Deutz air cooled motor?

  11. #11Shimmy12018-11-23 22:10

    Only thing we were ever told to watch out for were the pillow block bearings on the sprockets. Religiously greased every day and never had trouble. Those levers that come up from the floor though. You knew you had done a full days work after cutting grade all day with those. Oh, and the brakes SUCK. Not just a little either. You have to set them, and release them everytime you need to move, and when set they don't hold that great.

  12. #12coondog132018-11-23 22:11

    I don't think so from what I've tried to find I think it has a case built 336bdt engine bout 120 horse

  13. #13245dlc2018-11-24 01:33

    Try and get a picture and I can tell you right away if it's a Case/Poclain or Case/Drott.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2018-11-24 18:26

    The 880's and 880B's had the 336BDT engine in them. The 880's had a balancer oil pump that was weak so keep an eye on lil pressure. If it was ever rebuilt hopefully it was changed over to a front mounted oil pump.