A friend of mine has a 1988 Case 688. The problem is he can’t operate the swing with the engine at normal RPM or the swing function is lost. He has to shut the engine off, restart and then he’ll regain swing. All other hydraulic functions work fine at all rpm. He’s been nursing it along but it’s gotten to the point that swing only works at slightly above idle without losing it. He had a young Case tech look at it with no resolution. Any ideas on what the issue is? He’s changed the hydraulic filter. Thank you.
Sounds like the problem is in the swing valve. It is located beside the main control valve. It's been a number of years sense I've messed with one of those machines.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll pass your info along.
I think that is a Poclain made machine, Coy is right on about the swing valve, it's separate with the counter balance valves in the block. I had a 1088 with a swing problem like that, failed '0' rings in the counterbalance valves. Hope this helps