Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 70xt question

Josuer302 · 2021-12-04 23:52

Hello all, recently acquired this skid steer used. Have since purchased the service manual. The manual shows the right joystick having a toggle switch that controls the front auxiliary. My joystick does have the toggle switch but it does not operate the auxiliary. Only the foot paddle in the center of the floor currently does. Am I reading that correctly that the toggle switch does control the auxiliary and if so would the toggle go bad or would it possible be a connection that went bad ?(I know I would probably have to get under the joystick to figure it out) Thanks again.

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2021-12-05 00:13

    If I remember correctly. They had an option for aux on the handle or on the floor, but they don't do both. My guess is the toggle does not control the aux, it might be for an electrical connection. I had a 70XT which was a really good machine. Mine I ordered with the aux on the handle and did not have the foot control.

  2. #2Josuer3022021-12-05 00:27

    You’re probably right, the service manual doesn’t differentiate or say whether it’s an “option” just shows both under troubleshooting in the same panel as electric front control and from auxiliary. What would the front electric be used for? Is there a way to convert it from the foot control to the joystick? Since the foot control is a pain.

  3. #3KSSS2021-12-05 11:09

    I am with you on the foot control. The 1800 series machines were like that, and I was happy to go with the activation on the handle. I would think it could be done. Hopefully one of the Case mechanics will chime in and could provide more info on that. The toggle on the handle may be the correct activation for aux, it is just not active when the foot activation is ordered. If the switch returns to center after it is depressed and released, I think it is the aux. The electric activation stayed on or off after release. There were several different handle options available depending on what options were on the machine. I think I still have some of my owner's manuals from some of the XT machines I had, I will take a look and refamiliarize myself with the switch layout on the handles.

  4. #4alrman2021-12-05 15:15

    If the machine has a foot pedal to control the Aux - it will be a cable operated mechanical Aux valve. I have never seen an electric foot pedal used for the Aux controls. If the machine had a high flow kit fitted to it ( a second set of Aux lines down the loader frame) it would be electrically controlled. The models that did utilize the electric toggle on the control lever, used a three spool loader control valve that had electric solenoids for the aux spool, built in to a single unit. I think you will find, your machine will have a separate mechanically controlled Aux valve - that will need to be replaced with an electric valve & may possibly require other electrical components fitted to make it work. CNH never made a model using a separate electrical AUX control valve - so what ever you figure you need to do the job, will need to come from another source.

  5. #5Josuer3022021-12-05 23:41

    Thank you guys for the information and insight. KSSS, yes I’ve seen several different joystick options is why I thought it would have been possible with not too much effort but I guess that was wishful thinking lol. ALRMAN, thanks for that info I’m not that mechanically and much less electrically inclined to make that switch from mechanical foot operated to electric hand toggle. My right joystick does have the toggle at the top and two buttons below it thought maybe it could be done.I don’t have high flow option as I don’t have a case drain. Thanks for the help guys